Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Taurus rear disk brakes, after crawling around under the car I found a sorry looking rear brake proportioning valve. Ford calls it brake load sensor proportioning valve. After searching around found a new one, seems to only be made by Ford. Shop manuals indicated raise vehicle on hoist (wish I had one in my back yard) and remove and replace making sure the suspension is in full rebound? What is full rebound? If the car is on a hoist my thinking this means the wheels are hanging down and this is full rebound? Any opinions should the wheels be fully down or up?

Has anyone done this job, any hints? Thanks!

Should be fun four brake lines to remove and several never been touched before bolts!

·
Registered
405 Posts
The opposite of rebound is compression, so I have to assume you are correct in that the car in the air with the wheels hanging would be full rebound.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Just buy the rear brake bias plug from Shosource and use that.
DO NOT do this unless your ABS is fully functional! The plugs will remove any proportioning function and your rear disks will stop much harder, wanting to lock up. Your ABS will turn on using these. I tried a set a friend loaned me (he didn't like them) and I gave them back. Good for track (without ABS), not a DD, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
DO NOT do this unless your ABS is fully functional! The plugs will remove any proportioning function and your rear disks will stop much harder, wanting to lock up. Your ABS will turn on using these. I tried a set a friend loaned me (he didn't like them) and I gave them back. Good for track (without ABS), not a DD, IMHO.
Id like to know how that happened as I have them with 13" front and 11.6 front and I do not activate the ABS at all.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Id like to know how that happened as I have them with 13" front and 11.6 front and I do not activate the ABS at all.
Larger front rotors (non-stock) changes brake bias performance. So does modified (non-stock) suspension components, especially lowering components. It is all about vehicle speed, ride height, and rear-to-front weight transfer during braking. My Taurus is all stock and stops fine with stock, as-built, fully functioning brakes, proportioning valve and all. Tried plugs, didn't care for them, that's all I'm saying.

(PS - read SHO Sources warning/disclaimer about using these on their catalog page for this product)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts