Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that I would have to do the fronts, but my rears have worn out again. They only lasted 20k miles. I was reading some of the archives and a proportioning valve was mentioned. Could my car have been using more rear brakes because the struts were shot and dragging major ass?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Bad pads or bad brake hoses. I have a set of new ones for both if you're interested.

·
Registered
200 Posts
QUOTE (clydesdale @ Jun 6 2010, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809944
I figured that I would have to do the fronts, but my rears have worn out again. They only lasted 20k miles. I was reading some of the archives and a proportioning valve was mentioned. Could my car have been using more rear brakes because the struts were shot and dragging major ass?[/b]
I had a dragging right rear caliper on my 96 sable that caused my rear brakes to be worn out in about 20k miles. When I put new rotors on the back I noticed that the one rotor was hot to the touch and slightly blued compared to the other one.

I changed the right rear caliper and the caliper bracket and returned the core. I was told at NAPA to replace
both because the caliper bracket can wear also.

I would do a touch test after driving to see if one rotor is hotter than the other. My brake pads were always worn down more on the right rear than the left rear by quite a bit.

Hope this helps!

k8crd

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (k8crd @ Jun 6 2010, 10:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809971
I figured that I would have to do the fronts, but my rears have worn out again. They only lasted 20k miles. I was reading some of the archives and a proportioning valve was mentioned. Could my car have been using more rear brakes because the struts were shot and dragging major ass?[/b]
I had a dragging right rear caliper on my 96 sable that caused my rear brakes to be worn out in about 20k miles. When I put new rotors on the back I noticed that the one rotor was hot to the touch and slightly blued compared to the other one.

I changed the right rear caliper and the caliper bracket and returned the core. I was told at NAPA to replace

I would do a touch test after driving to see if one rotor is hotter than the other. My brake pads were always worn down more on the right rear than the left rear by quite a bit.

Hope this helps!

k8crd
[/b][/quote]

I had the same issue plus the brake hoses were starting to collapse. how long do brake pads usually last? is 20k ok miles for cheap brake pads?

·
Registered
200 Posts
QUOTE (TAURUSGLV6 @ Jun 7 2010, 12:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810031
QUOTE (k8crd @ Jun 6 2010, 10:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809971

Hope this helps!

k8crd
[/b][/quote]

I had the same issue plus the brake hoses were starting to collapse. how long do brake pads usually last? is 20k ok miles for cheap brake pads?
[/b][/quote]

It depends on what kind of driving you do.
If you do alot of city driving, stop and go then you will get less life than a person that drives on the highway a lot!

I have 65K on my 04 sable wagon on the original brakes but I live in a small town in the country not a lot of
stop and go and numerous traffic lights like the big cities.

Remember also to clean and grease the caliper slides, I saw alot of salt, dirt and corrosion on my caliper slides on my previous 96 sable. Inspect the rubber boots that go over the caliper slides for cuts or tears.
I replaced a couple of the caliper slides on my 96 sable because they were rusty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts