Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side rear brake is locking up on my 93 Taurus. I've had my mechanic replace the pad, caliper, rotor and the brake line - no luck, it keeps happening. Any suggestions on what to do next? Could it be an ABS problem? Master Cylinder? Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Lubricate the caliper pins, which can easily hang up, with Motorcraft Silicone Grease and Dielectric Compound or Squeak Relief Universal Brake Grease. Don't use regular high temperature grease. I suspect this will solve the problem. Next, if you have not already done so, flush the whole brake system and replace with Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid. Finally, check adjustment of the parking brake cables and the proportioning valve. Let me know if this solved the problem.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Something's telling me either you're not explaining it right, or I'm misunderstanding you.

Pick A or B:
A: You're driving down the road, the light turns red, you hit the brakes, and the right rear tire skids to a stop. After the light turns green, you go on your merry way (with a flat spot that makes the car vibrate and the CD player skip, but that's a whole 'nuther issue)

B. You're driving down the road, the light turns red, you hit the brakes, and the right rear tire skids to a stop. After the light turns green, you go on your merry way, with the right rear tire not turning, making a horrible racket, lots of tire smoke and terrible acceleration (and lousy gas mileage, but but that's a whole 'nuther issue)

<Tapping foot, waiting for answer> :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeckler, it's closer to B... something like this:

MY WIFE or NEPHEW is driving down the road, the light turns red, she/he hits the brakes, and the right rear tire stops normally. After the light turns green, she/he goes on her/his merry way, COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS, with the right rear tire not turning, making a horrible racket, lots of BRAKE smoke and terrible acceleration AND then eventually the pad wears down (quickly) so that we have metal on metal with lots of screeching, the brake line bursts and there is brake fluid all over the wheel, tire, etc.
(and me scratching my head saying, "Didn't you notice the smoke and smell?", but but that's a whole 'nuther issue)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Make sure the pad and the caliper piston are lined up right. There are small pins on the pad backing and small grooves on the piston. They have to be seated right. Otherwise I would suspect the E-brake cable is rusted. Try disconnecting that from the caliper.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Your description is very extreme. I question whether the mechanic knows what he is doing. Take it to Ford--it will probably be done better, cheaper, safer, and faster than what you are doing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow. If your mechanic has replaced basically everything, I'd turn it over to Ford. I'm not 100% sure that each wheel is totally independant of the others (separate lines to each wheel). If so, I'd suspect a master cylinder or ABS controller issue. Not sure I'd trust that to the neighborhood ASE technician. You said he replaced the lines... you mean the rubber line right? That was going to be my first suggestion. Good luck.

And thanks for going along with the joke. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts