Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: How long do the original rear drum brakes last on Ford Taurus Gl?

Answer: 14 yrs, 5 months, and 26 days

I was driving to work Wednesday when without warning the rear brakes on the Bull, :ph34r: specifically the rear passenger side made a bang noise, then rattling and banging then it was a constant dragging, slowing the car till I could pull over. The car was due for inspection next month, and I had a appointment for the 28th.

I guess I was lucky it didn't lock up the wheel, just applied drag like the brakes were being pressed. The damage came to about 400 bucks from the brake shop, which is alot but I dont like replacing drum brakes, especially ones that exploded.

The brake shop said it was bad when they pulled the drum, basically everything destroyed including deep grooves in the drum.

I hope everyone else has there rear brakes checked on these old Bulls, if not they can be a timebomb waiting to explode. :noes:

On a side note, this is the only car that I have ever had that the rear brakes failed this way. Not even my 85 Shelby Charger Turbo that had 183,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (mh488 @ May 28 2010, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807552
Question: How long do the original rear drum brakes last on Ford Taurus Gl?

Answer: 14 yrs, 5 months, and 26 days

I was driving to work Wednesday when without warning the rear brakes on the Bull, :ph34r: specifically the rear passenger side made a bang noise, then rattling and banging then it was a constant dragging, slowing the car till I could pull over. The car was due for inspection next month, and I had a appointment for the 28th.

I guess I was lucky it didn't lock up the wheel, just applied drag like the brakes were being pressed. The damage came to about 400 bucks from the brake shop, which is alot but I dont like replacing drum brakes, especially ones that exploded.

The brake shop said it was bad when they pulled the drum, basically everything destroyed including deep grooves in the drum.

I hope everyone else has there rear brakes checked on these old Bulls, if not they can be a timebomb waiting to explode. :noes:

On a side note, this is the only car that I have ever had that the rear brakes failed this way. Not even my 85 Shelby Charger Turbo that had 183,000 miles on it.[/b]
After 183,000 on the Shelby you may want to check the brakes on it. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol2: the pads and springs had been replaced one time on the Shelby, the car is gone it had rusted away and would have cost too much to restore, I miss that little 5-speed turbo. B)

I guess I was upset that the Taurus passed inspection last year when my Grammy had it, and this happened. I understand this is an old car and these things are bound to happen.

I guess I am more upset at myself for having not pulled the drums when I got the car. :dunno:

I like the Bull, I had the trans fluid and filter changed, Mobil 1 oil. Next is coolant flush, tune-up, fuel filter, egr and Maf cleaning, new swaybar links, possibly lowering springs and wheels.

Thanks for responding, I was just ranting a little. lol ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts