Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went to six flags and was driveing back to meet up with some friends. About 10 min from where I was meeting them (mind you I was already driveing for about an hour and a half) it started to just rev. So I pulled off to the side of the highway checked the trans fluid it was about a gallon and a half low (it was fine the day before when I checked it).So I got it to where I was going and home after puting a gallon of trans fluid in which it still needed another 2 quarts. Brought it in to a shop they said they saw nothing that would cause it to drop a gallon and a half of trans fluid.

So I decided to put a lucas trans thing in it and have he be alittle over. It's been a week now and nothing. no puddles or anything not even a drop in the leval of fluid. I didn't see a puddle under the car when I left six flags.

anyone got any ideas what could cause that?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If it puked all over the ground, there would be a mess in the engine bay. Are you sure you checked the trans fluid car running, warm and in park?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
After putting the Lucas transmission stuff in it, it's now time to change the transmission fluid and filter. That stuff can loosen up deposits inside.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
QUOTE (jamesbondlq @ May 24 2009, 04:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727637
Last week I went to six flags and was driveing back to meet up with some friends. About 10 min from where I was meeting them (mind you I was already driveing for about an hour and a half) it started to just rev. So I pulled off to the side of the highway checked the trans fluid it was about a gallon and a half low (it was fine the day before when I checked it).So I got it to where I was going and home after puting a gallon of trans fluid in which it still needed another 2 quarts. Brought it in to a shop they said they saw nothing that would cause it to drop a gallon and a half of trans fluid.

So I decided to put a lucas trans thing in it and have he be alittle over. It's been a week now and nothing. no puddles or anything not even a drop in the leval of fluid. I didn't see a puddle under the car when I left six flags.

anyone got any ideas what could cause that?[/b]
Welcome to TCCA.

Thats an awful lot of fluid to be missing without Any signs of leaking & it's hard to imagine a leak that bad re-sealing itself!!!!

So lets think about this some more.

Seems to me there are only five possibilties.

The fluid was low to begin with, you just didn't do the fluid check right, as has been suggested. At operating temp, on level ground, at warm idle, after having shifted into ALL gears & ending in "P" or "N".

You didn't get the dipstick seated good & it blew out on the trip.

The tranny leaked but sealed itself.

The the tranny fluid got hot & leaked out the vent.

Someone messed with you & pumped the fluid out the dipstick fill tube!!!!

Seeing as how the transaxle is a sealed electronically controlled system & doesn't consume fluid while doing it's thing, that fluid had to come out of it some way.

So unless it blew out the dipstick fill tube, got hot, expanded & came out the tranny vent, leaked but re-sealed itself, or someone pumped it out the dipstick fill tube, seems to me there should be wet signs where ever it came out!!!!

Was the engine running hot, or did it overheat at anytime on the trip????

If so, I too would suggest doing a pan drop, filter change & finishing with a complete fluid pumpout of the valvebody, torque converter, lines & cooler, as outlined in the wiki. Then find out why the engine overheated & put that right.

More thoughts for pondering, will be interesting to hear what you find.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I believe its a Quart and a Half and not a Gallon and a Half.

With a Gallon n Half low, the tranny will not be shifting gears, and will blow up in minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (ab_sood @ May 26 2009, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728002
I believe its a Quart and a Half and not a Gallon and a Half.

With a Gallon n Half low, the tranny will not be shifting gears, and will blow up in minutes.[/b]
No it was a gallon and a half and I'm talking this happened with in a few minutes while driveing. No the car did not over heat. It was on a lift when I checked it. It might have been alittle low but no more then like 1/2 a pint at most. Like I said it was fine driveing for about an hour and a half before it jsut started reving up. I have about a 100 miles on it now after puting the lucas stuff in and trans fluid with no issues what so ever. It use to run alil warmer then what I woulda liked to see but it hasn't done that in a while.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well the only clue you've provided to it doing this is the vehicle running a little warmer than you like at some point in the past.

So maybe the thermostat stuck, the engine heated up, the tranny fluid got hot, expanded & came out the vent.

Whatever the case, 6 qts of fluid didn't just evaporate, there has to be some wet signs of it coming out of the tranny somewhere & the bottom of the vehicle should show it.

Before the trip, how did you check the tranny fluid with the vehicle on a lift & how did your tranny dipstick indicate the fluid was down by 6 qts??????? I don't believe the fluid being that low will even register on the tranny dipstick!!!!

Anyway, look underhood & underneath, around the tranny pan, axle seals, tranny lines & fittings to the radiator & cooler in front of the AC condenser if you have one, for any wetness or signs of a leak. I'm thnking maybe you have a pinhole in one of the tranny fluid lines, or a fitting seal leak.

If you don't find anything, pull the radiator cap & see if you have any signs of tranny fluid in the coolant.

How did/does the tranny fluid look, smell & feel?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (pawpaw @ May 26 2009, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728038
Well the only clue you've provided to it doing this is the vehicle running a little warmer than you like at some point in the past.

So maybe the thermostat stuck, the engine heated up, the tranny fluid got hot, expanded & came out the vent.

Whatever the case, 6 qts of fluid didn't just evaporate, there has to be some wet signs of it coming out of the tranny somewhere & the bottom of the vehicle should show it.

Before the trip, how did you check the tranny fluid with the vehicle on a lift & how did your tranny dipstick indicate the fluid was down by 6 qts??????? I don't believe the fluid being that low will even register on the tranny dipstick!!!!

Anyway, look underhood & underneath, around the tranny pan, axle seals, tranny lines & fittings to the radiator & cooler in front of the AC condenser if you have one, for any wetness or signs of a leak. I'm thnking maybe you have a pinhole in one of the tranny fluid lines, or a fitting seal leak.

If you don't find anything, pull the radiator cap & see if you have any signs of tranny fluid in the coolant.

How did/does the tranny fluid look, smell & feel?????[/b]
It was on the lift with the tires barely touching the ground and the fluid was ok like I said mabye a half of pint low at most. when it happened and I checked it it wasn't even registering on the dipstick till we dumped 2.5 quarts in but was still low. after we stuck the other 3.5 quarts in it was alil over filled with the lucas. checked the radiator out nothing. checked under the car nothing is really that wet that would lead to beleve that would be like oh there it is. there was alil wetness around the trans pan and where the torque converter is but like I said nothing that was of any concern.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this is a dead topic now, but I hope i found the issue. The one motor mount was apperently going bad and I didn't notice it, mabye somehow that caused an issue.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
QUOTE (jamesbondlq @ Jun 3 2009, 09:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730029
I know this is a dead topic now, but I hope i found the issue. The one motor mount was apperently going bad and I didn't notice it, mabye somehow that caused an issue.[/b]
Well if it was the front motor mount that was bad, torque will let the engine rotate up & flex the tranny line connections, so maybe it leaked out there.

In any case with the fluid being that low & driving on the highway at speed, the remaining fluid would have likely gotten over heated & with whatever Lucas product you added, I'd still do a pan drop, filter change & full tranny fluid pump out, using the "home method' SHOZ123 has posted above, to get all new fluid in there.

I'd also keep a check on the tranny fluid level at every gas stop.

Leaking a gallon & a half of tranny fluid should have wet things down good, unless the leak was somehow squirting straight down, such that it didn't blow back on the underneath side of the chassis & theirs only a couple of places it might be able to do that & they are on the drivers side where the tranny fluid lines exit to run over to the radiator.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When my trans is 2 quarts low, it starts shifting very softly, slipping in 2nd, falling out of gear, etc. so i don't think it would've driven very well at all if it was low to begin with, but I also doubt it just pulled a david blane and dissappeared. About the trans lines flexing and leaking fluid, I agree with previous post that there would be signs of a leak. If the vent is positioned in a certain way that it would not get on any parts in the engine bay, that could also explain no puddles, or wet spots. Does the car have to be in gear to create enough pressure to cause the vent to be used? If it only leaks while driving, that could also explain the mysterious fluid loss.... :dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (pawpaw @ Jun 4 2009, 06:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730095
Well if it was the front motor mount that was bad, torque will let the engine rotate up & flex the tranny line connections, so maybe it leaked out there.[/b]
yes it was the front motor mount that was bad and we are fairly sure that that is what caused it. I've been checking the fluid every day weather I've drove the thing or not the day before and hasn't leaked a drop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts