Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Taurus and the car was blowing cold air when I had it turned to hot to warm up the car. I checked the fluid and the resavoir was empty. I put a whole pre-mixed jug of antifreeze in and it just started to show in the resavoir. The strang thing is the car was not over heating according the the gauge inside the car. I don't see the fluid leaking anywhere so what could the problem be? Please help, thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had a crack in my reservoir and had to replace it. Usually one will notice such a crack though due to the leaking fluid of steam if the crack is higher up on the tank.

Get some more pre mixed and get it to the right level in the tank, there are likely a lot of air bubbles still in there if you went too low.

keep and eye on where the fluid is leaking if you have time to watch it idle or park it in a clean spot to get a better idea.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had a leak in my pressure tank and it never left a drop on the ground. I could smell it and once in a while see a little steam come from under the hood at a stop. It was that way for almost two years because I didn't want to pay for a new tank, I just kept an eye on it and added a little coolant when I did oil changes. I'm getting the car ready for my daughter so I finally bit the bullet and replaced it along with other repairs that I was holding off on.

Check to make sure it's not head gasket too just to be safe. An easy check is to pull the plugs to look for any abnormalities (good time to change them as long as they are out) then have someone watch the exhaust when you start up to watch for a puff of white smoke. A compression and leak-down test or exhaust gas test would be better if you have access to the equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts