Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it would sound like if I put component speakers in back of the car instead of the 6x8's? I figure the mid's in the package tray and the tweets in the headliner or c-piller if there is a trim piece. There will still be a sub in the trunk and components in the front regardless.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
It is feasible. Having two sets of components is pretty typical if you read any audio forums. The tweeter should typically be mounted within 6 inches of the mid woofer - the tweeter and mid woofer should be mounted on the same surface and pointed in the same direction whether it be on axis or off axis (from your ears).

Components are usually desired for the reason of greater clarity than coaxials - are you seeking more clarity from the rear for yourself or for the passengers in your car? If it's for yourself, then a decent set of coaxials should suffice.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I thought you were supposed to mount the tweeter high in the passenger compartment and the mid's in the door to create better sound imagining.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The biggest thing is to keep the speakers the same linear distance from the ear. If they are at two different distances, they will be slightly out of phase, and the sound will be muddy. I personally don't think it's that big of an issue. Ford's stock tweets run on the same channel as the fron speakers and they are a few feet apart with considerably different axial directions.

It's much more of an issue with large concert hall soundsystems, because of the larger speaker to audience distances involved.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have my infinity components (soon to be replaced by Boston Acoustics components)mounted rather far apart! :lol: The 5 1/4" woofer is in the door (up front) and the tweeters are mounted on top of the (A pillar?). The sound doesn't lose any quality or anything. Everything comes together rather nicely.... (subs in the rear, components up front and boston acoustics 5x8 coaxials in the rear) Makes for a full range blend. It really all depends on how you want it to sound, as other's have mentioned. If it's just for you, a decent set of 5x8 / 6x8's should be just fine. If you want better sound for the rear seat passengers, then I would think components would be great with the woofer mounted in the rear deck with the tweeters mounted at the top of the B (?) pillar facing the rear passengers. This would be to help create a front sound stage illusion, and thats what I would do. What head unit do you have? Do you have external crossovers or does the head unit have them built in? I use the built in crossovers in my alpine headunit (cda9813). Which does a really great job of dividing the frequencies between the front, rear and subwoofers. I use an external amp for both the door & deck speakers and the subs so this is very important. A cool feature on the higher end alpine head units (mine for instance :p) is the ability to adjust the delay for each speaker. This is so all the sounds from the speakers will reach your ears at the same time and give the illusion that the speakers are all the same distance apart.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Jun 9 2004, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know what it would sound like if I put component speakers in back of the car instead of the 6x8's? I figure the mid's in the package tray and the tweets in the headliner or c-piller if there is a trim piece. There will still be a sub in the trunk and components in the front regardless.
if you want input from real audiophiles they will all say the same thing... why even bother with rear fill? :headscratch:

rear fill speakers does two things: it wastes power, and wastes space. get a good set of front components, install them properly(that word is important... PROPELY, get adequate clean power, and sit back and enjoy.

it you just want to put speakers in the back just to do it, then locate the mid right next to the tweet, firing straight up into the back glass. simple install, its gonna bounce the waves up towards you and your rear passengers can hear it all. just remember to keep the mids and tweets together, mounting your tweeters up high and your mids down low will ruin your imaging, not help it. best thing for imaging is properly aimed fronts, no rear fill. dont worry about equidistant spacing between them, if you want to get nity gritty then buy a good alpine or eclipse HU which has time allignment. but most people cant tell a huge difference with time allignment, so this isnt too important

hope this helps, but i still vote a big no on rear fill. good luck with it though if you decide to go through with it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Jun 9 2004, 07:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hoss @ Jun 9 2004, 07:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3-fords1000@Jun 9 2004, 10:12 AM
if you want input from real audiophiles they will all say the same thing... why even bother with rear fill? :headscratch:

rear fill speakers does two things: it wastes power, and wastes space. get a good set of front components, install them properly(that word is important... PROPELY, get adequate clean power, and sit back and enjoy.

it you just want to put speakers in the back just to do it, then locate the mid right next to the tweet, firing straight up into the back glass. simple install, its gonna bounce the waves up towards you and your rear passengers can hear it all. just remember to keep the mids and tweets together, mounting your tweeters up high and your mids down low will ruin your imaging, not help it. best thing for imaging is properly aimed fronts, no rear fill. dont worry about equidistant spacing between them, if you want to get nity gritty then buy a good alpine or eclipse HU which has time allignment. but most people cant tell a huge difference with time allignment, so this isnt too important

hope this helps, but i still vote a big no on rear fill. good luck with it though if you decide to go through with it. [/b][/quote]
But if you're going to listen to everything at moderate levels.... rear fill is fine. If you're going all out competition and what not, well I would say no to rear fill.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i still say no rear fill. even at moderate levels rear fill doesent do anything for the front passengers. and as for the peeps in the back seat... forget about them, there in the back :p.

form follows function, and who is the main person you are going to design a stereo around? the driver. so decide if you want to spend money on the other passengers who may or may not be in the car, and if they arent a huge priority to your budget, then cut that part out :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Jun 9 2004, 10:12 PM
i still say no rear fill. even at moderate levels rear fill doesent do anything for the front passengers. and as for the peeps in the back seat... forget about them, there in the back :p.

form follows function, and who is the main person you are going to design a stereo around? the driver. so decide if you want to spend money on the other passengers who may or may not be in the car, and if they arent a huge priority to your budget, then cut that part out :)
:lol: ok ok ok... I guess if you look at it like that, ok. But most of the time I do have other people in my car, up to and including family. At which point I normally have to have the volumes at lower reasonable levels. :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Jun 9 2004, 06:02 PM
just remember to keep the mids and tweets together, mounting your tweeters up high and your mids down low will ruin your imaging, not help it.
If this is so, then why did Ford put the tweets in the A-pillar sails on the G3? I am quite pleased with my tweeters right where they are in the sails. It raises the sound image to eye level, instead of coming from my feet. Granted I have coaxials in the door instead of components, but I wouldn't think that would make much difference.

I am in no way questioning your knowledge and experience in car audio, I am just trying to expand my knowledge of the nuances of car audio.

·
Registered
746 Posts
ford did that because they design cars, not stereos... most all factory stereos will sacrifice sound Q alot just to ease installation. also, those components arent aimed at all, that might be another reason why it seems to raise the sound stage. but with a good set of components properly aimed with good crossovers the sound stage will be right where it needs to be, no matter where the speakers are :)

one thing i have learned over time is that good crossovers make incredible differences.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Jun 10 2004, 05:27 AM
ford did that because they design cars, not stereos... most all factory stereos will sacrifice sound Q alot just to ease installation. also, those components arent aimed at all, that might be another reason why it seems to raise the sound stage. but with a good set of components properly aimed with good crossovers the sound stage will be right where it needs to be, no matter where the speakers are :)

one thing i have learned over time is that good crossovers make incredible differences.
You said it! :D Ain't that the truth! It makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking at the door panels yesterday and based on what I've read hear would it sound better if I put the front tweets down by the mids in the door?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts