Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you read ABS codes?

I just finished a major over haul of my front end and now the ABS light is on.
I am assuming 1 if the sensors are bad now, but i want to read the codes before i throw parts at the car.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
You need a scan tool that can read "C" series codes. Most mid priced personal use ones wont. Thats what AZ uses, so a free code scan from them wont help you. My PC based scan tool reads P, C, B, and U, mode 6, does on demand tests, etc, etc, but cost me $$$.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crap i was hoping there was a cheep way to read the codes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Does the ABS light do a blinking sequence when you start the car? Every time I've had an ABS issue the light blinked a code...my last one was the code for the 'Front Impact Severity Sensor' located near the hood latch. The code was '42'...the light would blink 4 times-pause-blink 2 times-pause...and it repeated that a few times before it stayed on if I remember correctly...but every time I started the car it did the sequence. My 2004 Workshop manual lists what sensor the blinking code is referencing. If you have a blinking code...list the number.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Does the ABS light do a blinking sequence when you start the car? Every time I've had an ABS issue the light blinked a code...my last one was the code for the 'Front Impact Severity Sensor' located near the hood latch. The code was '42'...the light would blink 4 times-pause-blink 2 times-pause...and it repeated that a few times before it stayed on if I remember correctly...but every time I started the car it did the sequence. My 2004 Workshop manual lists what sensor the blinking code is referencing. If you have a blinking code...list the number.
Sounds like you are describing air bag (SRS) codes...

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
It's tempting. $80 is the price of one scan. Actually, $10 less.

What are P C B U etc?
Most of us are familiar with P codes, like Pxxxx. P's are powertrain codes, which is what most consumer code readers will read. C codes are Chassis codes, covering things like ABS, TC, etc. B codes are Body codes. Stuff like lighting, GEM, SJB, the infamous sticking door adjar switches, etc. U codes are communication network codes.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Thanks. P reader cost me $130. Now a C reader will cost additional $80. What would be the price of an all-code reader?

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
My PC based Autoenginuity scan tool, which does MUCH more than just read all codes cost me $400 with the enhanced Ford package. Paid for itself many times over.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Jeff K,
I can buy a $100 ABS code scanner without pre-approval. But my wife will surely ask about a $400 tool on credit card bill. Pls give me some words to justify $400, especially "paid for itself many times over."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts