Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
So water in a misting bottle into the intake while running will help a little bit? seems odd to me so I just wanted to get a clarification, my curiosity peaked.

·
Registered
140 Posts
hand cleaned throttle body, and upper intake manifold, lucas in the gas tan k every once in a blue moon, use castrol gtx and a motorcraft oil filter, will probably switch to high mileage oil soon, probably try techron once, but my biggest keys i believe to keeping it clean:
good oil, 3k changes, quality gas (QT, not many chevron, texacos around here) decent acceleration, and a good WOT every now and again:D

Girlfriend's vehicle had aquired a little lifter tick in it, threw some mobil HM in it (140K miles),(walmart was out of the castrol HM) and started up and, "tick, tick,tick,tick, puuuurrrrrrrrrrrr" hasnt come back for a week or two, was a daily thing before

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
I remember back in the '70s at the sand quarry I was employed at, some "good 'ol boys" at quittin' time enjoying some "cold ones", would periodically trickle some ice cold Budweiser down the carb throats of their small block Chevy v-8s while idling to bust up carbon deposits, lol. Seemed like alcohol abuse to me though, lol!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
^^^^^ Yup! Used to do it all the time when I owned cars with carbs, and it worked well. Of course, fuel mixture and even fuel distribution were horrible back then compared with modern EFI fuel systems.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
^^^
Unless they NEVER get to highway speeds or suffer from a ridiculously rich running malady today's systems are just so much more efficient they don't get carboned to that extent.

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
.....except direct injection engines. The intake valves don't get sprayed with fuel like with port injection, only pcv oil-contaminated air passes over them which bakes/hardens over time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The problem with water down the carb or TB is that it turns to steam in the combustion chamber and THAT washes away all the cylinder wall lubrication.....not good on rings if your aim is another 50K + on the engine.

Ive used ATF for close to 50 years down carbs while manually working the throttle ,it is just a highly refined 10W. A half quart or more slowly poured in recently purchased beaters and lest yearly after that. Just dont stand down wind, the smoke is intense.

In my various EFI vehicles a spray bottle and ATF does well, finish off with disc brake cleaner on the screen (unless it is plastic and then try something else) otherwise it will gum up with micro size dirt that gets past the filter. It doesnt take much as modern gas and ignitions minimize the carbon and other deposits.

My old flathead V8 Fords needed a half quart yearly as those old low nickel cast iron blocks wore rapidly and 3 rings never did give a good oil seal. Typical time between valve jobs with many vintage engines was 30-50K. Water down the carb would also crack valve seats.

Carl

21 - 28 of 28 Posts