Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have noticed this on my 01 Taurus SE, it was also present on my old 95 neon and some other cars/trucks I have noticed. The steering wheel, while the car is driving straight down the road is 'cocked' off-center. What is involved in re-centering a steering wheel? I have been driving the car around for the last couple of months and it seems a little bit better, but I don't know what I did to improve it.

Thank you all very much!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not an alignment, the car drives perfectly straight, however the steering wheel is off-center.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Yes an alignment.... it might "drive straight" but it could be not tracking straight.. I think firespirit was talkin' about this, if not she knows more than she puts forth.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allrighty, i'll look into getting an alignment. My neon had numerous alignments and the wheel was not straight, but i blamed it on a strut problem (sold the car before i got that fixed).

Thanks for the info!

p.s. love the wheels, kermit :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
when you get a alignment tell the mechanic that the steering wheel is not centered. So when they do the alignment they will center the steering wheel and align the wheels to the steering wheel. Otherwise they wont center the steering wheel if you don't ask, because thats more work.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Yeah I think some shops just make sure the wheels are aligned with each other, so even though the wheels are all streight ahead, the steering wheel is crooked.

FYI...

If you've ever replaced your outer tie rod end links, you get a quick idea of how and alienment works. Essencially the end links are adjustable to push or pull the ties in and out from the center postion. If one side is out further and the other is in further, but they both are off by the same amount, the wheels can be streight ahead and aligned without having the wheel centered.

If the mechanics are lazy, they probably just turn the wheel till one wheel is streight and then align the other wheel to that one.

-Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does the extent depend on the road your on, because the um....curve of the road your on to allow for water run off (forgot the proper word for it).
Like for me I have to compensate to the right, but only when I am in the very left lane where the curve is the worst. (oh yeah remember I am in a RHD country)

Julian

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by wozza@Jul 10 2004, 03:14 AM
Does the extent depend on the road your on, because the um....curve of the road your on to allow for water run off (forgot the proper word for it).
Like for me I have to compensate to the right, but only when I am in the very left lane where the curve is the worst. (oh yeah remember I am in a RHD country)

Julian
Exactly my thoughts. In the good ol' US, they call it a crown. It may be something different in Australia though....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais
Exactly my thoughts. In the good ol' US, they call it a crown. It may be something different in Australia though....
Yeah thats what its called, I just misplaced the word at the time hehehe :oops:

Speaking of which I need to eventually do a how to speak Australian thread hehehehe.

Julian

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by wozza@Jul 11 2004, 01:58 AM
Speaking of which I need to eventually do a how to speak Australian thread hehehehe.

Julian
From TV commercials, I already know how to say beer:

Fostah's! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts