Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is taken from cardomain from the guestbook of "Taurussetypes"(yo mark!)

"posted by cardad 1/26/04, 10:04 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey .I like you exhaust system, but now it is time to fully utilize that power. I see cressida for me had issues with the trans on his taurus. Take my word for it you can make all the power in the world but if you can not get it fully to the ground whats' the point? Shift calibration has always been a problem on ford trannys.The less miles your tranny has on it 60,000 or less and no burned fluid should be candidate for a recalibration kit. Beside a tremendious power gain(the tranny will be able to keep up with the power curve of the engine)ie.no slipping or short or stacked shifts.Your engine will run in the power band in a non sluggish as your tranny will have a greater chance of responding to where you lay down the throttle. Trust me I am about to do it to our taurus that we just bought this weekend. And having done it to an short wheelbase aero retroed with a 4.0 that would literally run up the rear of any vtec and a astro van, I can honestly say this is worth 20 to 30% in performance increase."

How do we go about this calibrating the tranny, where do we get the kit? Does anyone have any knowledge on this whatsoever, because if this is true why aren't we all doing this to our Taurus's?

G

·
Are you simply talking about "firming up shifts" and/or moving shift points? If so, this can be done with tuner chips, the most popular and probably the best one right now is from American Motorsport...

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Get a chip from American Motorsport, he can modify the shifts of your transmission, he's done it for others.

The automatics in our cars feel like sloppy pieces of sh*t, any improvment in shift quality is a great one. I'm going to consider an American Motorsport chip for my car when I get some money this fall, that is if he can do anything for my 94 3.8 sable. I'm mainly looking for faster shifts. Although it's not going to make a 20 - 30% difference like this person is stating, the faster shifts will certainly make your car feel that much faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts