Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through a few pages of the older posts but couldn't find what i was looking for. Now i assume that the "rear chassis unit" [haynes repair manual] and "radio control unit" [you guys] are the same thing. Is it nothing more than an amp? I'm trying to upgrade the entire system and found out that piece is in the trunk, so that'd make everything much easier since that means the wires all go back there. So, is it just an amp that can replaced by anything that fits and with a few wire splices? The whole stereo will hopefully eventually be redone, starting with the rcu/amp, then speakers, then head unit, and possibly some wires along the way

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and I have a 97 LX, i don't know if its the "premium" or regular system. It sounds poor to me, but it has 6 speakers so I'm not sure. It could just be aged tech or deterioration, I guess

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
If your door tweeters dont have the Mach Logo in the grille then your factory system is the basic one. The easy way to upgrade is to change the RCU for a Mach one and its plug & play. (The RCU is the box at the trunk; it is more than just an amp it is actually the radio and amp) The front controls are just that (only button controls)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it looks like for the time and effort to try to redo the entire system, it just wouldn't be worth it compared to swapping out for a Mach RCU and new set of speakers. However, I still wouldnt have a reliable source of my music, preferably ipod or 1/8in headphone jack direct input. Is there any way for me to accomplish that? I do NOT have a Cd player nor 6 disk trunk changer. Just radio/cassette. Transmitters are glitchy and the car never recognizes that there's music, just no actual tape. Any help would be immensely appreciated by a 17 year old whose car and music just don't drive and play at the same place at the same time =[

·
Registered
128 Posts
So it looks like for the time and effort to try to redo the entire system, it just wouldn't be worth it compared to swapping out for a Mach RCU and new set of speakers. However, I still wouldnt have a reliable source of my music, preferably ipod or 1/8in headphone jack direct input. Is there any way for me to accomplish that? I do NOT have a Cd player nor 6 disk trunk changer. Just radio/cassette. Transmitters are glitchy and the car never recognizes that there's music, just no actual tape. Any help would be immensely appreciated by a 17 year old whose car and music just don't drive and play at the same place at the same time =[
this is what you need:
FRDR/PC-POD2 - PIE FRDR/PC-POD2 iPod Adapter for select 1995-05 Ford RCU - .Browse By Vehicle - iPod? Adapters - iPod? Adapters - iPod? Adapters - Precision Interface - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail

it will also recharge the battery. There is slightly cheaper one if you don't care about that. If your iphone/ipod is the latest generation, then you also need this to convert 12V to 5V:
iPod Nano Touch Car Charger Voltage Converter Adapter - eBay (item 220642885417 end time Jul-31-10 16:27:39 PDT)

Between this and the MACH unit you won't believe you're driving the same car....the Taurus is one of the easiest and cheapest cars to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you are looking to do this extra cheap, you can do the aux-input mod through the tape deck. There's a pinned thread with a how to in this subforum or on Topic Finder...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry, I didn't [and still don't] see the thread about the aux-input rigging. However, i think the Mach rcu, better speakers, and direct ipod adapter are my best bet in the long run. However, I read its instruction manual online and it referenced the CD player controls.. I only have the radio/cassette player. Will it still work with this by switching to either of those? If that is also addressed in another topic I couldn't find, I'm sorry again! =]

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
It will work if you get the Mach RCU, replace your football controls with one that has the CD Buttons and add Ipod controller.

Let me know if need help with that.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
sorry, I didn't [and still don't] see the thread about the aux-input rigging. However, i think the Mach rcu, better speakers, and direct ipod adapter are my best bet in the long run. However, I read its instruction manual online and it referenced the CD player controls.. I only have the radio/cassette player. Will it still work with this by switching to either of those? If that is also addressed in another topic I couldn't find, I'm sorry again! =]
Wow you are correct sir, both the pinned thread is gone, and the listing in topic finder is dead. Great.........

But here is the way to do it on a G3: MP3 input

Just need a proper year wiring diagram.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow you are correct sir, both the pinned thread is gone, and the listing in topic finder is dead. Great.........

But here is the way to do it on a G3: MP3 input

Just need a proper year wiring diagram.
Thanks! However, I recently recieved a $5 iWorld transmitter [car powered or 2 AAA's] and so far it works great compared to my $30 Belkin. Go figure. So for now, I'm not gonna open up the dashboard.. But that may very well be the next step after swapping the RCU and speakers.

On a side note, do any of you think the Mach is better or worse than the JBL? I'm sure either would drastically improve my car's sound, but I'd prefer to just get the better one. Sorry for asking twice in two threads.. got excited >_>

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well...here's the way I see it.

A JBL setup has a much better quality tweeter setup up front, and the seperate woofer in the back is a nice feature.

But.

The newest JBL woofer is now what? 15 years old? And it's not exactly in the best placement from what car audio people say. I grabbed a JBL setup to test how it sounded. Wasn't all that impressed. That coulda been because the woofer was worn out...who knows.

The MACH setup (no woofer) with some tweeters, makes for a dang nice upgrade. You may not have a separate subwoofer, but it still sounds great for an inexpensive stereo in a Taurus. Especially when you consider that for under $100 the look of your interior looks the same. All the changes are hidden, no real theft.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I beg to differ a little bit. I think JBL is superior and I have had great success with it. However as previously said; you have to make sure all your JBL components are in good working condition.

Mach is easier to do and cheaper; JBL need more components and will be a little more work to install.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I honestly wonder what the system sounds like with a good condition woofer. All the other components tested fine...too bad money doesn't grow on trees, I could go find a new woofer somewhere and wire it up...

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I honestly wonder what the system sounds like with a good condition woofer. All the other components tested fine...too bad money doesn't grow on trees, I could go find a new woofer somewhere and wire it up...
I replaced my missing JBL sub with one I got from ShoMex. Bumps real good and the whole system sounds great!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I replaced my missing JBL sub with one I got from ShoMex. Bumps real good and the whole system sounds great!

Thats what I'm talking about; if your rear sub is in good shape it will give you more bass than Mach. (at the rear area) while the front provides enough bass with factory JBL speakers or aftermarket. B)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My experience w/ anything by Belkin has been bad. I won't touch any of their stuff again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts