Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 99 Taurus Wagon Se with the 3.0L vulcan and the synchro tranny (AX4S) i think. When the car is in park everything is fine, but when I engage it into any gear and step on the gas a little there is a sort of throaty rattling noise for a second as I accelerate. It does not persist as I run through the gears or increase engine RPM nor does it make noise when I idle in gear with my foot on the brake. Could it be a cover on some part of the exhaust vibrating at that moment because of the frequency of the exhaust or something? (had that problem on our previous 3.8L '89 wagon) Anyone have a similar noise or have any ideas?
I can't really pin point the source of the noise, it just seems to come from the bottom of the car. Minus poor fuel economy ( which i think is standard on the heaviest model with the smallest engine) everything else works just fine and the car drives just like it always has.
Thanks Guys
Jay

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Exhaust heat shield rattling? Common on most Taurii.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
^^^^^ +1

Common on all Fords as they age. Tap in all the heat shields with a rubber mallet until you find the offender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts