Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been having this irritating rattling sound that occurs from idle to about 3K RPM. around there the engine starts to overcome the sound. Well We've had this problem ever since we bought the car. Its just been getting more and more noticeable since I've been coming home later at night.

It sounds like the idler pulley is rattling, but the sound comes from the engine in general. I can not pinpoint the noise. :dunno:

Its getting frustrating cause I think it maybe something that will damage my Vulcan by 100k miles. (I'm at 83K right now.

Anybody got any suggestions? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Well, I can't say for sure as I can't hear the sound for myself, but I'd guess that it's a loose heat shield.

A loose heat shield is nothing to worry about, it won't cause serious damage to your engine.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
A way to narrow it down would be to remove the belt and start it up to see if the noise still exists. Just don't run it for long.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Make sure to check the pulleys anyway, on my 97 'tec at under 100k miles, the a/c compressor pulley froze the day i bought the car. I discovered it was the a/c pulley before driving it away from where i bought, fortunately it broke at my house so i didn't have to walk far. Can't really complain for 300 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts