Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 with the Vulcan ATX. I noticed today that it was making a rattling noise under acceleration in all gears (including neutral). The noise seems to be coming from behind the engine about in line with the fender/door seam. I think it may be bad gas (probably not), the torque converter, or something to do with the exhaust system. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
First thing I would check is the exhaust heat shield. The crappy rivets tend to rust out and let the thing hang on gen 2's, causing a rattle when it touches the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's my guess too... Try putting it in drive with your foot on the brake. Put some pressure on the gas and it'll probably get louder. I had to rip those shields of my '89, '94, and recently '95. Someday I'll be doing it to my '00 I'm sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the shields fell down on my 95 gl and they were about 3 inches from the pavement, it really worried me when i saw it (although it didnt make much noise), but it wasnt any big deal to fix the problem. I just got some semi heavy gauge wire and wrapped it all the way around the shield and exaughst pipe (when the car was cool!!) then twisted it off. Not a problem since. If that turns out to be your problem id wire them back on rather than tear them off because they probably protect something important from the pipe heat (my uninformed opinion)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts