Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found some headers for a 3.0 ranger and i heard that rangers have the same engine as a taurus just turned. would i still be able to fit them in?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
No. You can use parts of them, but the headers would have to be seriously modified to work. The front flange will be the same, but where the tubes go and such will all have to be modified.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
You can get headers custom made for about $1000. Actual gains from the headers may not be much without all the other mods needed to take advantage of the headers. I have headers on my SHO and I ended up trading low rpm torque for more on the upper end. I also have LPM, Cams, EH Intake, 80mm MAF and more. The headers were the last mod I have done.

Bob

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
No. You can use parts of them, but the headers would have to be seriously modified to work. The front flange will be the same, but where the tubes go and such will all have to be modified.
As Kahn said, the ranger headers won't work because the 3.0 in the ranger is mounted "Longitudinally". The Taurus's is mounted "Transversely" the headers in a longitudinal design are both aimed to the rear, or on the way this motor is mounted in the Taurus toward the drivers side. This causes an issue because the front exhaust mani dumps downward, and the rear dumps off the passengers side. So ranger headers won't work as they dump towards the "rear" on both banks.

Custom headers are they only way. Trust me when I had my Taurus I've been thinking about this a LONG time. Many a sleepless night was spent contemplating a header design. It never got completed. :(

·
Registered
374 Posts
As Kahn said, the ranger headers won't work because the 3.0 in the ranger is mounted "Longitudinally". The Taurus's is mounted "Transversely" the headers in a longitudinal design are both aimed to the rear, or on the way this motor is mounted in the Taurus toward the drivers side. This causes an issue because the front exhaust mani dumps downward, and the rear dumps off the passengers side. So ranger headers won't work as they dump towards the "rear" on both banks.
Not a problem if you switch the sides (The one that would be on the left side on the Ranger mounted to the rear bank of the Taurus), the flanges would then both dump towards the passenger side of the Taurus, like factory, however custom pipes from the flanges back would be required.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Not a problem if you switch the sides (The one that would be on the left side on the Ranger mounted to the rear bank of the Taurus), the flanges would then both dump towards the passenger side of the Taurus, like factory, however custom pipes from the flanges back would be required.
This is true. But I cannot vouch for the fact that they would work custom piping or not. :huh: The front side also dumps directly down unlike the ranger headers IIRC.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This is true. But I cannot vouch for the fact that they would work custom piping or not. :huh: The front side also dumps directly down unlike the ranger headers IIRC.
+1

Our exhaust manifold points down, while Ranger manifolds will point out to the side at a very shallow angle. The tight radius bend required to not route the exhaust through your fender would probably negate any benefits gained.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts