Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what this is for, I don't recall seeing it on other Vulcans...

It's just this one random purple wire that comes from the part of the harness that goes to the connector on the coil pack. It stretches across the engine bay, over the intake to the firewall. At that point, I can no longer tell where it goes. I guess at some point it was covered by some black plastic tubing stuff (for lack of a better term, I don't know what it's supposed to be called). There is very little of it left. The wire is just sitting there, unprotected except for it's own insulation. I'm always afraid I'm accidentally gonna break it one day.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I don't have a remote starter. I don't have an alarm or anything in fact.

Although, there is an antenna on the top of the windshield that looks like it could have been for a remote starter or a car alarm now that I think about it.

Either way, it just goes to show how you gotta be careful with aftermarket electronics. What a joke that is, just hanging across the engine bay, zip tied to the PCV breather.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Any markings on the antenna? I've got one mounted to my windshield with my DEI Remote Start, says DEI on it.

That probably is a leftover wire if the system was removed, or you might have the system in your car, just not the remotes for it.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
:werd: Definitely not stock. Is there anything else unusual along with the antenna, maybe under the dash? Maybe you can see the other end of the purple wire there? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC, the antenna does say DEI on it. I'll double check if I remember to.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
IIRC, the antenna does say DEI on it. I'll double check if I remember to. [/b]
DEI makes alarms

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have the exact same setup with my DEI remote starter. Check under the dash by the steering column for a relay pack. This is part of the remote system that triggers the lights, starter relay, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
It's a tach signal wire to allow the auto start know when the engine is running. I have the same purple wire tapped into the harness going to the ignition coil. Removing or breaking the wire will just cause the autostart not to work.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a tach signal wire to allow the auto start know when the engine is running. I have the same purple wire tapped into the harness going to the ignition coil. Removing or breaking the wire will just cause the autostart not to work.
[/b]
I can only assume it has been removed anyway and wires and the antenna have been left behind. I don't know why someone would leave a remote starter in a car and then just take away the remotes. If there was still one in the car, is there a way I could use a generic remote to activate it?

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I can only assume it has been removed anyway and wires and the antenna have been left behind. I don't know why someone would leave a remote starter in a car and then just take away the remotes. If there was still one in the car, is there a way I could use a generic remote to activate it? [/b][/quote]

You could buy remotes for the alarm that you have then program them. Look under the dash for the "brain"

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
^^^^^ :werd:

Check under the dash for the "brain". It's just a black box all the wires running to it. You can buy remotes separate as 00tec-saTX said. You just need to know the brand of th remote start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts