Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back while I was at work (I work at a Ford/Lincoln dealership), my specialty is detail. I washed my engine and got something wet, and caused it to miss and run rough. I also had my car in for service to replace a broken front spring before that and on the service sheet the tech noted I had a lower intake leak. I have replaced the intake gaskets. Oh yeah, I have a 2000 Taurus with the Duratech. It has over 160,000 miles. Since washing the engine, that miss hasn't gone away. I did wash the engine cold. I went to Autozone because the check engine light came on. Used an OBII reader to find out the code. It was the water causing the miss the check light.

Because it kept missing, I took the upper intake off. Disconnected each fuel injector one at a time, put in dialectic grease. Put it all back together. Also, since I had the miss, I replaced the spark plugs. Still to no avail, when it get's hot it starts to have random misses under load or parked running the A/C. Also, there is a small box that is bolted to the front valve cover that I would assume is a noise suppressor for the ignition system. Part of the wire is exposed. While the engine was running, I accidentally grounded that exposed wire and the engine stopped instantly. Could that have possibly messed something up causing it to miss? Only when it's hot.
If anyone has some suggestions or a fix, please let me know.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
A while back while I was at work (I work at a Ford/Lincoln dealership), my specialty is detail. I washed my engine and got something wet, and caused it to miss and run rough. I also had my car in for service to replace a broken front spring before that and on the service sheet the tech noted I had a lower intake leak. I have replaced the intake gaskets. Oh yeah, I have a 2000 Taurus with the Duratech. It has over 160,000 miles. Since washing the engine, that miss hasn't gone away. I did wash the engine cold. I went to Autozone because the check engine light came on. Used an OBII reader to find out the code. It was the water causing the miss the check light.

Because it kept missing, I took the upper intake off. Disconnected each fuel injector one at a time, put in dialectic grease. Put it all back together. Also, since I had the miss, I replaced the spark plugs. Still to no avail, when it get's hot it starts to have random misses under load or parked running the A/C. Also, there is a small box that is bolted to the front valve cover that I would assume is a noise suppressor for the ignition system. Part of the wire is exposed. While the engine was running, I accidentally grounded that exposed wire and the engine stopped instantly. Could that have possibly messed something up causing it to miss? Only when it's hot.
If anyone has some suggestions or a fix, please let me know.
Did the car tell you which cylinder is the problem one? You may have just damaged a coil. Any exposed wire is bad so I'd cover that with some electrical tape, but it shouldn't cause a persistent misfire like you're getting.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Did the car tell you which cylinder is the problem one? You may have just damaged a coil. Any exposed wire is bad so I'd cover that with some electrical tape, but it shouldn't cause a persistent misfire like you're getting.
Good call. Ford coilpacks crack and get wet sensitive = misfires. I think with many miles the coil will crack. I used the water spritz bottle and misted my coil idling warm engine and it went crazy, nearly died. New coil, all is good. Coil shows several small cracks. It happens, You can depend on it. I spritz the new coil and it had no change in idle. Easy test.

-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Tuesday I when I went to work, I just dropped it off in the front service entrance. When I finally got free to talk to the service tech that looked at my car, she found that cylinder #2 was the misfire and that the coil over was going bad. Today, I took that coil and moved it to the front of the engine for easier access for when I get a new one. Upon cleaning the top of it, I noticed a crack. So I can see why it is going bad. Everything else checks out. Thank You all for the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts