Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from road trip to Nevada and back to Texas. Ran "ORRBULL" in the Silver State Classic Challenge Open Road Race in the 105 mph class. Had a 20-30 mph headwind. It was tough to get up past 115 mph to bank time before the "Narrows", tricky road through the canyon on 318. We got it up to 117.2. Ended up .2251 seconds slow - good enough for a second in the 105 mph class and helped our team, "Old Farts Racing" win the team challenge. Melissa Lenox (driver) and I also won the "Checkpoint Challenge" over 95 other cars. We had the lowest sum of absolute values of time variances for checkpoint 3, checkpoint 6 and finish line.
Just dropped off 2008 Taurus yesterday to get Xterme Performance transmission at Plano Transmissions. We are moving up to the 115 mph class which has a top speed limit of 140 mph and want to have a "built" transmission that can handle it. We already have a Hayden 689 transmission oil cooler.
David

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
874 Posts
Just my curiosity: do you need a software change for that (over here in the Netherlands they call that chip-tuning)?

I think my Taurus is limited in software to 120 mph. Given the 3 liter engine and its aerodynamic shape, even my 2000 Vulcan could be much faster than 120 mph.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I used the Hypertech programmer to unlock speed limiter to match my Y rated - 186 mph - tires. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The 2008 Taurus has a Cd of 0.3. I also used the Hypertech to up the HP to 280 (verified the percentage improvement on a dyno). Built transmission being installed now. My mannecrew, "Tau", "Rus" and "Cyd Ann" are overseeing the transmission swap.
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts