Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a hoodscoop on my '96 LX.....Ive got it mounted with 3M tape for the moment but I know the owner at the local Macco and I may have it bondo's ect. I'm looking to do ram air through it. The engine hood looks to clear the engine enough to route soming to the air box.... Should I just buy one of those "mini" dryer hoses and route it to the side of the airbox? Or should I fabricate a new box? The major concern I have is water.....I would assume I would be collecting it.....how does the factory do it on ram air cars? I have access to many parts at the salvage yard....

You can tell me I'm wasting my time... but I can do it for nearly nothing, so why not....
at least I can say I have ram air...lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I edited my post...look up :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And a close up, ignore the dirtyness...my car was washed a week later.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
if you are set on leaving it on, i would defiently mold it into the hood. it would look better that way. personally i think that i rises too much. for how narrow it is.

if you could manage it a cowl hood it would look better.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you could manage it a cowl hood it would look better.
Never gave that a thought...

When I bought it I didnt think it was going to be that high....I kinda like the way it looks from the inside tho....

I wanted to get a smaller one and put it near the airbox on the hood...but If I remember right theres a bunch of support beams under that area (on the hood itself)

S

·
0 Posts
A waste of time. I wouldn't waste my time doing a Ram Air kit on the Taurus... It wont look right. Also for the money you'll be spending, a different perfromance part would do 100 times better then a hood scoop.

Just my opinion.

Sal

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm paying for materials only...

And I love the constant stares on the highway...Maybe I'll catch some of those on camera..lol

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Im glad someone is trying somthing new. I would have it molded into the hood first (as well as have the hole cut through the hood for the air. That way you will have functional engine cooling till you get the ram air working.

Next I wouls see if you can run a piece of flexible air drier hose to it without getting it pinched under the hood. Otherwise youll need to make a "reciever" mounted to the top of the engine that seals to the underside of the hood when shut. The output of the reciever then could be routed into the intake. Id go into the stock air box...it has a little provision for getting water out of the intake. I would just have the flexible piping do a downward u shaped bend (with a small hole to let the water out) by the airbox to help collect water.

Looks good!

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would cut the hole larger than 2 inches, make it a bit smaller than the scoop, and try molding an air pan out of sheet metal. Then put a sort of gasket around the lip of the pan and mount it under the hood. The air pan allows you to "funnel" the air into the tube, thus "ramming" air into the airbox. A 2 inch hole under the scoop would be more like the equivalent of a CAI. Once you get it molded and all set up, POST PICS! Im surprised that more members havent tried this yet. I beleive that you and mrcow are the only 2.
~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
486 Posts
We have a 04 Mustang Mach 1 with the shaker hood that has functional ram air. I'll try and get a couple pics for ya.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
  We have a 04 Mustang Mach 1 with the shaker hood that has functional ram air. I'll try and get a couple pics for ya.
I'd greatly appreciate that B)

·
Registered
142 Posts
A shaker scoop would look awsome, except that it would shake in the wrong direction <_<
~~Maverick~~

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
IMHO that looks tacky. And you probably get alot of looks, but only because it looks dumb, not good. :ph34r:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree, front to back shake in a scoop would look pretty weak. If only someone converted to rear wheel drive... :banana:
~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
352 Posts
#1 Need to move it further forward
#2 You will need to remove the bug degflector for RAM air effect.
#3 I would take it off.

Sorry but Im with jtkz 13 and Sable Sal on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
It's not a bad look, but there won't be any ram air. I had thought there would be some benefit with putting the intake into the airstream, made a post to that effect and was called on it. So, I went and did some research on ram air and air flow. It turns out that air is not very compressible at normal motorcar speeds.

All that air one would think is being rammed into the air intake actually just goes around it. There is not enough energy in the oncoming air to compress the intake air, it's easier to just go around. The collumn of air already in the intake is as good a block to the airstream as a solid surface.

Not what I expected, but that's what I found :eek:

J

·
0 Posts
That's a pretty unique idea. However, I think the best functionality you're going to get out of it is keeping the engine bay cooler, which is definitely a good thing. :) I'm with Brad - I'm glad to see a new idea. B)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts