Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had problems with the tube slipping off the MAF adapter. I guess the clamps dont do a good job. I resorted to putting back the stock filter box. No biggy. I feel no difference.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
as in what? The KN cone or something else? I have a KN panel filter for about a year now and I've not had any problems...

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I think he's wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with oil getting from the filter onto the MAF wires. Although it hasn't been too long, I've had a K&N cone for 4 months or so w/o any problems.
You really don't need to worry about this unless you really over oil the filter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that is what I am getting at, did the oil get on the MAF wires and screw up your idle. I have a higher idle and I can't find anything wrong. I am just speculating right now. I am going to change out the air filter to a stock paper, and I am going to clean the wires the best I can with some spray electronics cleaner. I also wonder if oil can hurt the reading of the air temp sensor in the intake hose, I might have to try cleaning that too. If that doesn't do a darn thing I might try buying a junkyard MAF, or I might steal the MAF from my moms brand new Vulcan

J

·
0 Posts
I've had a K&N panel filter on my Gen 4 for 6 months now & 20k miles with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Have you tried cleaning your MAF? It's fairly simple; just need some alcohol/cleaner and some cotton swabs. What you're really going to be cleaning is the little wire inside the MAF that measures air temp in terms of resistance.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
My MAF seemed to not like the K&N filter. I definitely didnt over-oil it, and after about 3-4 months I would have to clean the maf sensor & reset the computer. I put a stock filter on for warranty work and dont plan on going back to the K&N. A stock replacement panel filter isnt going to make any more hp or even sound louder, imo.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by jtkz13@Feb 24 2004, 12:51 AM
My MAF seemed to not like the K&N filter. I definitely didnt over-oil it, and after about 3-4 months I would have to clean the maf sensor & reset the computer. I put a stock filter on for warranty work and dont plan on going back to the K&N. A stock replacement panel filter isnt going to make any more hp or even sound louder, imo.
what problem did you have when the K&N oiled your MAF?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
black sho didnt have a MAF when i bought it....car didnt run...put one in and it ran...then the trans blew..then i got it rebult!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I would get CEL's & just general rough idle & unsmooth acceleration. The CEL I got before I ditched it was "bank 2 lean" or something like that. I thought it may have been my O2 sensors, but I cleaned the maf & reset the computer and it has been running great since.

Now, I'm not dissing K&N filters to be honest. I run a big ole 9" cone style in my Mustang with good results. I still make a habit out of cleaning the maf & resetting the computer every time I clean the filter though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by jtkz13@Feb 24 2004, 02:59 AM
I would get CEL's & just general rough idle & unsmooth acceleration. The CEL I got before I ditched it was "bank 2 lean" or something like that. I thought it may have been my O2 sensors, but I cleaned the maf & reset the computer and it has been running great since.

Now, I'm not dissing K&N filters to be honest. I run a big ole 9" cone style in my Mustang with good results. I still make a habit out of cleaning the maf & resetting the computer every time I clean the filter though.
what do you use to clean the MAF? I think I might not be useing the right stuff. I have a big cone K&N in my cobra that I paid a lot of money for that I don't want to throw out, but this is getting hard.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
What I do is initially clean it with a q-tip & rubbing alcohol. This gets any of the real baked on stuff off. You gotta be real careful though, because if you break one of the sensors you'll be buying a whole new maf and they arent cheap. After that spray it with some electrical contact cleaner and let it air dry. As long as you clean it regularily with the contact cleaner you shouldnt have to use the q-tip & alcohol again. Thats what I have found what works. It may be a little overkill, but I would rather keep it nice & clean and make sure it running 100% correct. I think thats why I get 20-21 mpg in my mustang and driving it decently hard all the time.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
If you have ever read your owner's manual it says that using oil type filters may void your warrenty. I have one in my truck and I'm getting a "bank 1" and "bank 2" lean code. I cleaned the O2 sensors because they aren't that old but it didn't work. I guess I'll trying cleaning the MAF before I replace the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Feb 24 2004, 06:56 AM
If you have ever read your owner's manual it says that using oil type filters may void your warrenty. I have one in my truck and I'm getting a "bank 1" and "bank 2" lean code. I cleaned the O2 sensors because they aren't that old but it didn't work. I guess I'll trying cleaning the MAF before I replace the O2 sensors.
Did you use a K&N air filter?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts