Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been noticed since before I replaced my spark plugs in April. I Thought i would mention it.
Does anyone else with a Gen IV Vulcan, AX4Silly Feel that their bull does not want to be held back by a foot break. Or the Parking gear after starting it up in the morning?
Seems to last even when the up to operating temperature.

It just feels strange. @ a stop light I think I have put it in neutral because she doesn't want to be held by the breaks. Am I crazy? Is there a name for this?
Something I can put into the search bar?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I'm not sure about the parking gear, but I feel that my bull also wants to pull away from a stop. I kind of like it on the hills, I can let my foot off the brake a little and not worry about it coasting back at all before I hit the gas. Sometimes it will even pull up some steeper hills with my foot off the brake.

So your not alone with that.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. We need someone to 2nd that.
Then we cast a vote for this to be concirsered a "normalcy ". If the "AIE"s Have it shall then be so.!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 14 2009, 12:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739288
Then we cast a vote for this to be concirsered a "normalcy ". If the "AIE"s Have it shall then be so.![/b]
Could be your TB isnt closing all the way or your IAC is stuck open/gunked

I know whenever i throw mine in gear.. it wants to break free and keep going.... I like it....

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jul 14 2009, 03:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739303
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 14 2009, 12:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739288
Then we cast a vote for this to be concirsered a "normalcy ". If the "AIE"s Have it shall then be so.![/b]
Could be your TB isnt closing all the way or your IAC is stuck open/gunked

I know whenever i throw mine in gear.. it wants to break free and keep going.... I like it....
[/b][/quote]
I will try cleaning that when I get her back. She is getting the Synchronizer replaced again.

Vulcan Powaaah!

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
I added Lucas Upper Cylinder Cleaner : Read Injector Cleaner Vast improvement. Read reduction in Rage against the <strike>Machine </strike> Brake. Joy!

Rage came back with in a day.
This time I changed the non-motorcraft (read, Previous owner had changed) filter with Purolator.
Vast Vast Improvement.

Added Lucas Upper Cylinder Cleaner again
Vast Vast Vast Improvement.
Still wants to break free of the brake. But not nearly as force full. Next I should clean the IACV.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Codes?

Could be a vacuum leak

·
Registered
422 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 29 2009, 03:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=742903
Update:
I added Lucas Upper Cylinder Cleaner : Read Injector Cleaner Vast improvement. Read reduction in Rage against the <strike>Machine </strike> Brake. Joy!

Rage came back with in a day.
This time I changed the non-motorcraft (read, Previous owner had changed) filter with Purolator.
Vast Vast Improvement.

Added Lucas Upper Cylinder Cleaner again
Vast Vast Vast Improvement.
Still wants to break free of the brake. But not nearly as force full. Next I should clean the IACV.[/b]
Interesting this has been brought up, mine was doing this, I replaced the tps cause I had a bad one. Now when I give it throttle in d or od the revs go up but don't come back down. If I throw it into neurtal the rpms shoot up to 3000 and stay there. If I drop into d or od the rpms come back down to like 650 and stay there, but soon as I throttle the rpms stay where ever I run at. Neurtal and they shoot up to 3000.. If I stop and just let off I slowy creep up in speed till it shifts andf then continues to gain speed... :noes: No the throttle linkage/pedal is not sticking. I plan to tear tb apart and clean it up

I know I have a bad O2 I plan to replace in a few days. Only things that has changed so far are the cats, IAC (1 or 2 months ago)tps a few days ago and MAF a few weeks ago. I know the CATS have a bad leak on top so I am attributing the problems to that until I get the cat repaired/replaced. Does the computer need to be reset beyond clearing all codes after a TPS/IAC/MAF change being so close together? No vac leaks I can find... Oh and car is not being driven right now.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. So it;s back. Also I am noticing that the engine is "huffy" when starting out cold. It doesn;t get to the point of stalling but noticeable. This only when engine is cold. If I pull away and pull up to curb and put back in park. IT doesn't do it again. I thought I would mention it.

Here is my task list
  • Checked RPM. is @ 650 In PARK. Also in O-Drive with foot on brake until it 'pushes' then it drops to 500-510RPM. Pushes, then back to 650. a few secs later it does it, harder and [email protected] about 510RPM. Back to 650.
  • Clean Throttle Body - Looking for a How-to, now But not done yet
  • Clean IACV - But others recommend not touching if the engine has not stalled yet.
  • Vacumn Leak? where do I start? Never checked a vac leak before.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. On a hunch I check the PCV valve. Is having oil in it and the Elbow to the intake a problem?
When I had it and the Elbow off, I gave it a shake and it rattled.

Also it's getting worse. It sounds like it will stall @ start up. But doesn't . And is pushing against the peddle more and more.
No codes yet.

I talked to my father, he says to check for multiple filters. I just changed this filter with a purolator. It ran better for the first 50 miles then back to this.
He said to check for multiple fuel filters. Does it have another to replace?
Check for water in the tank. So perhaps I will add some dry gas. I added some Lucas Upper Cylinder cleaner
http://www.lucasoil.ca/images/products/16b...TreatGallon.jpg Like few ounces not a lot. Before and after the filter change. It was better after each, but the "surging"
came back. now I think it is getting worse.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok All Fixed. The "bumping" is completely gone.

I clean the MAF again. So friggin simple.
I know "I own a Torres :)"Said to clean the IACV, TPS, and MAF
But I was waiting for a Go ahead from others here on cleaning the IACV.
So the MAF negect was simply waiting for confirmation on the others.

Cleaning MAF will Fix The "BUMPS' from behind"
Update: well. temporally anyway. Came back after 15 miles

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. After a 15 mile drive this morning. It came back. Although much less than it has before. But still there all the same.
I managed to snap the Top left Throttle Body Bolt, The one where my index finger is in 1st pic. Guess I should have practiced with the torq wrench prior. :angryfire:

Here are Pics

Throttle Body Front Before (Facing Filter) Looks the same before and after.
[attachment=30333:TB_Front.jpg]

Throttle Body Rear (prior to cleaning)
[attachment=30334:TB_Back_Before.jpg]

Throttle Body Rear (after cleaning)
[attachment=30335:TB__Back_After.jpg]

I also Cleaned the PCV grommet and the part of the block that accepts the grommet.

I have to chauffeur my sweetheart around. Will update this evening. Also are those TB bolts hard to replace?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok BRoken Bolt Fixed :D
I was really lucky. I invested in a pack of Gra-Bits. http://www.amazon.com/BOA-BO17001-Grabit-S...s/dp/B0011EACZ2
I practiced this time on the broken head in a vice. Just because I didn't the last time using a tool for the first time.

I did not even have to use it. Which is good. It;s Dark and hard to work on a busy street anyway.
The bolt broke just below the surface of the TB. So removing the 3 remaining bolts of the TB. Removed the TB and the Broken bolt was sticking out about 1/2 ".
So i was able to use my fingers to remove it.

So, With only 3 bolts holding it in after cleaning, it did not feel better. I am anxious to see what it feels like now with 4.

Also. Dorman product # 980-225 is exact replacement if you happen to break on of these. It's a Metric 6x1.0 x 25mm Long.
$2.50 for a 4 pack @ advance. These are a Class 10.9 bolt.

Also I checked and the IACV is the same threading. Shorter, but same threading M6x1.0 I have not cleaned the IACV Yet, I have no feed back on if that is a good idea or not.

Update: Just came back from Test drive. Bump is still present, but improved from before cleaning MAF. Still waiting advice on IACV.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ Aug 5 2009, 09:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744778
Ok BRoken Bolt Fixed :D
I was really lucky. I invested in a pack of Gra-Bits. http://www.amazon.com/BOA-BO17001-Grabit-S...s/dp/B0011EACZ2
I practiced this time on the broken head in a vice. Just because I didn't the last time using a tool for the first time.

I did not even have to use it. Which is good. It;s Dark and hard to work on a busy street anyway.
The bolt broke just below the surface of the TB. So removing the 3 remaining bolts of the TB. Removed the TB and the Broken bolt was sticking out about 1/2 ".
So i was able to use my fingers to remove it.

So, With only 3 bolts holding it in after cleaning, it did not feel better. I am anxious to see what it feels like now with 4.

Also. Dorman product # 980-225 is exact replacement if you happen to break on of these. It's a Metric 6x1.0 x 25mm Long.
$2.50 for a 4 pack @ advance. These are a Class 10.9 bolt.

Also I checked and the IACV is the same threading. Shorter, but same threading M6x1.0 I have not cleaned the IACV Yet, I have no feed back on if that is a good idea or not.

Update: Just came back from Test drive. Bump is still present, but improved from before cleaning MAF. Still waiting advice on IACV. [/b]
Its always a good idea to clean your IACV.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have read in places. Here and elseware on the nets that is isn't like cleaning the Throttle body or the MAF. That is can cause harm.
I have TB cleaner and MAF cleaner. Also QuickDrying Electronics spray. What chemical should I use?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The IAC is not meant to be cleaned. But sometimes it does help.

If it is idling fast then tap the IAC with a screwdriver handle to see if it idles down. This would mean it is sticking. You can also try unplugging it when the engine is running. It should die immediately.

You can use the MAF or electronics spray to try and clean it.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. I have unplugged the electrical connector from it while the engine was running . It died immediately.
Tapping it, i have not. I haven't had a problem with High Idle.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts