Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made mess of the radio/cassette machine in my car. It is the stock Philips DC751 model.

I inserted an adaptor into the cassette deck so I could listen to stuff on my MP3 player. Unfortunately I think the one I inserted cannot cope with autoreverse and jammed in well and truely. I got some advice from some local garages that the only way to get the thing out is with a screwdrive but I have tried everything. I've probably bent the heads on the tape deck - all is not well there at all, but at least the radio still works.

So... it is probably easier and cheaper for me to find a replacement than repair the one I have.

From a cosmetic point of view I don't like the display of the Philips, even if it is the stock one. The digital readout colour is much greener than, say the clock or the dash display which is much more of a turquoise colour.

My question is if there is another radio of the same era that blends into the car dash and has lights/colours that match the rest of the car displays?

Alternatively, another question is just to get another Philips DC751. I saw one recently for sale but it was a GM version so it had the GM emblem in the corner of the facia. I suppose I could carefully remove the plastic facia of the one I have and switch it around if this is the one I get. Presumably the actual item is totally identical.

Thanks for any input/advice in advance!

(Picture before incident)

Regards,

Mike

Attachments

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
How about the one pictured on the right?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
A lot of Ford vehicles in the early 90's used the same radios. Just make sure you can test them in the junkyard before pulling them (a portable jumpbox will work if the keys are there). The problem with these older Ford radios is the displays burn out with age. When I had my old Gen 2 Taurus, I just test drove a Sable from a dealer and "switched" them out :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
if you need the one on the right i have 2 available.. $10 plus shipping. out of my old 95.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (rudedog @ Apr 19 2009, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718788
You could always do something like this, factory mp3 player.[/b]
Very fancy! What does the display look like when the MP3 is playing? Can you plug in your iPod via a cable or do you use a USB stick? It does mean that the coin tray/cup holder is lost underneath. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
A digital radio from an American car will not pick up all radio stations in Europe. Since you have a '93 you can use any single-DIN aftermarket replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts