Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Ford Taurus SEL that I recently started making a sound system for. I'm Currently Running an Alpine MRP-M500 to two 12" Kicker L5's. (Amp is soon to be upgraded to a Kicker SX1250) My problem is that when the subs are going, the songs my CD player are playing begin to cut out, and the do so in an order like the player stops reading on just one part of the CD as it spins, and it becomes longer and increases in frequency in the matter of a minute. Now I was thinking maybe I would need to actually hook up my noise supressor, but when I change it to actual radio, the problem goes away. I seriously have no idea how my sound sytem would affect the player unless they for some reason power the rear speakers and the cd player with the same source (which would be stupid) because to hook the system up to the factory head unit I had to splice into the rear speakers with a Line Output Converter. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Did you check your grounds? As dumb as it sounds it could be your problem among other things.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I am assuming you have your sub amp powered directly from the batt pos terminal with at least 8 AWG cable?...... not clear from your post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, I've tried multiple grounds to make sure, and the wire is correct from battery to capacitor, and from the capacitor to amp. It's a grimlin because It sounds like it should be a problem with the sound system, but if its hooked up there's no problems with the sound quality of regular radio stations, but if I unhook the amp the cd player works fine. I'm going to have to dig up a wiring schematic to see if the cd changer is hooked into a common power feed as the speakers because the power draw on that is the only difference when the system is hooked up.

Also why I think the issue may be a power source is that I've had this same amp and subs hooked up before with a large, inefficient enclosure as a temperary system, but now that I've built the boxes in a completely sealed and compact 1.25 cubic foot enclosure as by kicker spec's the amp doesn't have enough juice to power over both of the subs. I also know that people have told me smaller enclosures takes more power to run.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Are your subs maybe so loud that they're rattling the CD player off-track?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The factory head unit in a SEL version has digital climate control and a mess of luxury features that I'd like to keep, along with the 6 CD changer in the center console which I really like, so I'm running a LOC (Line Output Converter) so I can run RCA's off of the rear speakers. Running them in a Series-Paralell circuit also keeps the speakers running at the capacity before splicing. One thing I just remembered is I diconnected the remote line that was hooked up with the LOC to run to the fuse panel since running off the speakers kept the amp on all the time. Would that maybe affect the frequency over time? And the subs barely hit, their way underpowered now, so its not knocking the CD player off track.

·
Registered
294 Posts
you can get a head unit and a dash kit with climate controls still in it. they make one with rotary, and for climate control. its plug and play really. and who needs a 6 cd changer when you get an ipod hook up? they also make head units you can still have a cd changer with. you get way better sub control with a head unit and way better sound output to the speakers, the taurus rcu in the trunk is pretty good compared to most cars, but pretty much any head unit makes the speakers sound a million times better, and you also have 2 kickers in the trunk man, let those things shine! but its ur choice man, do what you will.

so you say this only happens during cd playback and not radio? simple possible solution. maybe your cd changer is broken? ive seen similar effects in some friends tauruses with cd changers. but high frequency pitches can also be a result of having the rca cables from the amp, run in the same place as the power wire, but you are spliced into the speakers so they arent run up to the front.

now just to rule this out, you cant shut off ur subs right? they are constantly running with any audio source? because they just play whenever the speakers play. if you could disconnect them somehow and play the cd changer as if it was ur stock system, you could see if the changer is the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Are your subs maybe so loud that they're rattling the CD player off-track?
This or.. your clipping your amp. You're probably sending a clipped signal and you amp it shutting the HU off to protect it from frying. When using an amp you shouldn't have the bass setting on the HU on at all so make it "flat" "0". That or you have you're amp gains up way to high. I'm pretty sure one of these are your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I figured out the problem. My initial suspicion was correct, someone spliced power to the CD player instead of fixing the wiring that got crimped underneath the center console. Works like a charm now (except that the amp can't power the subs over)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts