Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket head unit and for a while, I've been having a problem with the AM/FM radio. When I listen to CDs, the music is fine, but when I use FM mode, sometimes the music sounds like it's cutting out. I mean, the quality would degrade while driving around and sound like a speaker problem. But I know it isn't a speaker problem because AM/FM would sound fine when parked and the CDs sound fine when driving around. I don't think it's the station's frequency because it sounds fine in the van and the van's radio reception is more "picky" than my car. Could it be that I pulled the antenna cable out of the mast a little bit when installing the stereo?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 97 with the Mach system, and it has a similar problem. Mine seems to reduce a channel or two at a time. Kind of like listening to souround sound, but at the wrong times. I have found it to be in both AM and FM modes. CD does not do it. I have not noticed if it does it when parked..

My solution is to replace the whole package.

-Wayne

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not buying another stereo.

Any ideas on how to get to the cable inside the fender?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Could be loose antenna cable, pull the radio out and check the back of it to see if it is. I had the same problem. The culprit? I had a cheap cd reciever. What model do you have? I can check up the specs for you and see if that may be the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Almost every gen 2 I've seen a radio replacement done on, someone has had something to say about the loose antenna cable. In stock form there is hardly enough slack to be able to reach the deck. Tug on the cable a little bit and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Panasonic CQ-DP383U. I don't think it's cheap.

If I pull on the antenna cable and the other end comes out, how would I get it back in? Take the fender off?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts