Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Esteemed Gurus:

The radio/clock in my 2004 Taurus stopped working abruptly this weekend. All other electronics seem unaffected.

I checked all fuses with a test light today. Everything seemed OK (cigar lighter was burned out???). I can't get ANY reading on Fuse 27 in the engine bay box (Rear control unit, Antenna - diagram below), even with ignition on ACC or ON.

Thoughts on troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The RCU (the amp) in the trunk could be bad.
You might want to check the connections.
If it's bad you might want to move up to a mach amp which I also happen to sell!:lol2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Durasel -

Which connections am I checking for power? Are there specific pins that should have 12v?

Would a bad RCU module also cause a failure of the clock/display in the car?

No other interior lights seem to be affected so I'm guessing this is related to the RCU specifically.

-Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Jag. Using those helpful diagrams, I think that the + Batt link is likely the Red/Yel wire on one of the plugs, which DOES give me a 12v reading:

Can I assume the RCU is bad? All the backlighting in the dash unit works, it's ONLY the audio and clock that are not functioning.

Duracel - feel free to PM me with options if the Mach units are plug n' play. I'd love a better radio as long as I don't have to add another project to the fall agenda. I need something that will screw in and plug in.

Thanks again, all!

-Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys - still scratching my head about one thing.

I get no 12v reading from either side of F1.27, but the fuse appears OK. Could this signal an issue upstream or in that starter relay? Does VPWR complete the circuit and allow the RCU to function?

Thanks for any and all help - I don't do much modern electrical work, so these schematics are pretty new to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody? Should F1.27 have 12v on it when the car is running?

I'd hate to throw a new RCU at this if I don't have to. Thanks for checking,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,803 Posts
Grab a Mach RCU from the junk yard.

Reactions: ice445 and sheila
1 - 10 of 10 Posts