Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did replace recently the transmission range sensor (neutral safety switch) on my 1996 AX4N transmission.
Now, with the lever in "R", the radio mutes. Does anybody knows why? It didn't use to do it before.

The Explorer that has back up beeping sensor doesn't do that (althou I could see that beeing a feature in that case).

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
I know you stated that you replaced your transmission range sensor. Your going to have to replace it again, it's the only sensor that can cause the radio sound to go out in reverse. Did you buy used or new?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is an used one. It did cure bigger problems that I had with my original sensor (transmission not shifting right at cold).
I might go back and ask for another one (they said that they will replace it). I wasn't sure if that will cure the simptoms, I didn't want to sped a lot for nothing - the new one (11 pin) is 100$...
I did read that I can pull out the 5A "Radio Mute" fuse and solve the problem. But I don't know what other side effects are... In my Haynes Manual I could not find that fuse - there are lots of unlabeled 5A fuses in schematics.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well... Don't know. I just put it in like the original one and hope for the best. I see the adjustment slots there. Don't have the "special tool" T92P-70010-AH and my TRS's don't have an adjustment hole like I did read somewhere that it might have.
LE: I found the tool somwhere for $85.00. Someone there at Ford really wanted the dealers to have control...

Attachments

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Iirc, theres a non-tool adjustment procedure in the topic finder under transmissions at the top of this page. Or use the search feature.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Put the trans in neutral (or Park? Don't remember which), remove the cable from the TRS, loosen, don't remove the 2 mounting points and adjust it til the line on the case is lined up straight. Should be good after that.
The adjustment index is circled in the pic.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you!
I was already looking at the tool and figure out what it is actually aligning - the three red circled points.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It was close to the position. But measuring the resistor ladder inside I found out that the resistance for the "P" is tha same as for the "R" - 1.4kohm (it should be double). So I guess the used sensor wasn't too good either. At lest is working better, with that "Radio Mute" fuse pulled out.
I did found out that that is fuse #8 in I/P fuse panel. That goes only to he Integrated Control Panel, Red/Blk wire. :unsure: Don't know what it does beside "Mute". Manual says "Power Antenna/RCU/GEM"...

PS: Sorry, sheila, I hate the search function, it never gives what I need. Maybe because I don't know the right words for what I am looking for :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Try using Topic Finder, better set of info! if I could add Dan's above post to it, I would.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Nick, if we offer JW a piece of cake, hell add it to the topic finder. SoNic67, you have to type in more than 3 letters when using the search feature. Instead of trs, try: transmission range sensor, neutral safety switch, multi-lever position sensor, etc. Nicks right, topic finder is usually the better choice.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As I said, that implies that I would already know what to look for. I was having problems with cold shifting for a year now. At a transmission chain-shop I was told that I need to pay 800$ for them to take it apart and then pay more for what they would find.
I didn't have a clue that "Neutral Safety Switch" is in reality also a "Transmission Range Sensor". I was waiting for the transmission to crap out. Only by chance I saw in the Haynes manual the resitor ladder that signals the position and I had a revelation. After THAT I kind of knew what to look for, but before I couldn't find nothing.
I even open another thread here (thank you for tring to help, appreciate). But even there TRS/NSS never came across...
So yes, human interaction is better than the search function. At least for me.

Sorry for offtopic...

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
As I said, that implies that I would already know what to look for. I was having problems with cold shifting for a year now. At a transmission chain-shop I was told that I need to pay 800$ for them to take it apart and then pay more for what they would find.
I didn't have a clue that "Neutral Safety Switch" is in reality also a "Transmission Range Sensor". I was waiting for the transmission to crap out. Only by chance I saw in the Haynes manual the resitor ladder that signals the position and I had a revelation. After THAT I kind of knew what to look for, but before I couldn't find nothing.
I even open another thread here (thank you for tring to help, appreciate). But even there TRS/NSS never came across...
So yes, human interaction is better than the search function. At least for me.

Sorry for offtopic...
Hang around here long enough and you will glean reams of knowledge, my friend.

Lifted directly from the Topic Finder:

TRS (Transmission Range Sensor)
Symptoms (Each bullet point is a symptom that doesn't necessarily happen at the same time):

• Loss of power steering assist, all window controls (none are lit up), rear window defrost controls, half of the MFS controls (only Hi, Lo, and turn signals work), and radio only when car is in R, (D), D, and 1. Everything functions fine when put into P or N.
  • Transmission randomly downshifts/upshifts suddenly while driving.
Symptoms, TSB, and Repair
Additional Info
TRS Alignment Procedure
TRS Alignment Shortcut
TRS Wiring Harness Pin-Out
TRS Wiring Pin-Out (AX4N)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
...and radio only when car is in R, (D), D, and 1.
Mine is not working in "R". Anyway, the diagrams where usefull to me (measuring I find out that the "P" resistor is likely shorted). And the ideea to remove the fuse came from a topic here too...

Too bad I didn't know about the forum earlier, is amazing how many things I did find here in a few days and I wish I knew them before.
Like the location of the entry master code - in 2002 I did shell 95$ to Ford delearship to read the code (second hand car, only one key and remote).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts