Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 Sable GL was imported privately into Saudi Arabia from the USA and the factory radio doesn't tune properly here. It only tunes on odd frequencies - 91.3, 91.5, 91.7 etc - but all local radio stations are on the even frequencies like 91.4. Can I reprogram the radio somehow or do I need to replace with a radio from a car sold in this market? If I have to replace I guess the Mach is the one I should look for?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think you're going to have to replace it with one in your market...............But correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would just replace it with a aftermarket unit sold in your area, you may have to order an install kit with the wire harness from America and have it shipped to you, though. I don't know if Australia uses even numbered frequencies, if they do, you might be able to find a Ford unit that fits from there, Ford briefly sold the '97 and '98 Taurus there, I think, but in limited numbers. I wonder if other people there who bought American cars have the same issue, and what they do about it? I'm sure your seeing lots of large American SUV's there, since many of us don't want them on this side of the pond anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You are going to need a radio control unit (bolted in the trunk to the driver's side wheel well) out of an export Taurus (Sables were not exported). Cars that were exported outside of the US/Canada have the proper RCU. Good luck finding one...this is one of those times that installing an aftermarket radio might be much cheaper. You should not need to get a different head unit up front...as it's essentially a remote control, the brains for the radio is the RCU.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I'll check the local wreckers yard. Not too many Gen III Taurus here, but I should find something. Since my Sable is a wagon, do I need a radio from a wagon or are the wagon and sedan radios interchangeable?
:)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out all north american vehicles built for export into this market have radios that tune all frequencies - and the spec list is high so chances of finding a Mach are good. And yes we are drowning in large SUV's like Suburbans and Expeditions as gas is cheaper than water at 48 cents a gallon.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (oiler1fan @ Mar 6 2009, 12:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706003
Hole on one. Found the needed RCU yesterday - and its a JBL/Mach! :D[/b]
Nice work man! All the export models lucked out with getting the "premium audio"/mach RCU. :)

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Damn, you lucked out first day. Over the past week and a half, I've looked into ~35-40 Tauri/Sables and finally hit a few today. Mind you, none of the trunks were open and none had keys. Luckily, all had folding seats. I got good though, from entering the car to open trunk in 8-9 seconds :banana:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
QUOTE (oiler1fan @ Jan 31 2009, 04:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=697657
And yes we are drowning in large SUV's like Suburbans and Expeditions as gas is cheaper than water at 48 cents a gallon.[/b]
:eek:

:(

Feel free to somehow ship us some gas for that price :p

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange thing is I pulled the RCU from a '96 SE. I understood the SE only came into being in '98, but there were two of them in the yard. Must have been an export only model? The four GL's I looked at had the standard RCU - so not all export models have premium sound. The new RCU is like night and day compared to the standard unit. Also grabbed the SHO style 16x 6.5" 5-spoke wheels for a steal. :D

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Mar 6 2009, 12:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706007
Damn, you lucked out first day. Over the past week and a half, I've looked into ~35-40 Tauri/Sables and finally hit a few today. Mind you, none of the trunks were open and none had keys. Luckily, all had folding seats. I got good though, from entering the car to open trunk in 8-9 seconds :banana:[/b]
I hate how "short" the opening is... The seat backs don't lay flat when you fold them down and makes the hole even smaller if you have something long to put through!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (oiler1fan @ Mar 6 2009, 11:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706108
Strange thing is I pulled the RCU from a '96 SE. I understood the SE only came into being in '98, but there were two of them in the yard. Must have been an export only model? The four GL's I looked at had the standard RCU - so not all export models have premium sound. The new RCU is like night and day compared to the standard unit. Also grabbed the SHO style 16x 6.5" 5-spoke wheels for a steal. :D[/b]
You can easily swap bumpers between all the Gen 3s, they forget to change the nameplate when they do the swap (ie car gets rear ended).

That's odd, I was reading some literature about Gen 4s, and it said they were all shipped with "Premium Sound". Oh well, good to know for G3 reference. Congrats on the new wheels. They are great looking. Get some pictures of your car up. B)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The '96 SE sedan I took the RCU from didn't have a CD player either - or the CD controls on the instrument panel - but did have the Ford Premium Sound sail speakers. Date of manufacture was 01/96.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Located three more '96's yesterday in another yard - all have premium sound complete with RCU and sail speakers. I could pull them for other TCCA members, but cost of shipping would be high from here, but will consider if asked. All have SHO wheels too. Interesting that two of them have the grey/violet interior - I have never seen that before. :)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled one of the Mach RCU's yesterday as a part of a deal for some more wheels and trim parts. Got four SHO wheels complete with centre caps, lug nuts and good tires for $135. I'll sell the RCU at cost - $30 - plus shipping if anyone wants it, or I'll just keep for spare. :D

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 7 2009, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706163
QUOTE (oiler1fan @ Mar 6 2009, 11:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706108
Strange thing is I pulled the RCU from a '96 SE. I understood the SE only came into being in '98, but there were two of them in the yard. Must have been an export only model? <strike>The four GL's I looked at had the standard RCU - so not all export models have premium sound.</strike> The new RCU is like night and day compared to the standard unit. Also grabbed the SHO style 16x 6.5" 5-spoke wheels for a steal. :D[/b]
You can easily swap bumpers between all the Gen 3s, they forget to change the nameplate when they do the swap (ie car gets rear ended).

That's odd, I was reading some literature about Gen 4s, and it said they were all shipped with "Premium Sound". Oh well, good to know for G3 reference. Congrats on the new wheels. They are great looking. Get some pictures of your car up. B)
[/b][/quote]

Correction - all the Gen III's I looked at are '96 models with Premium Sound speakers and RCU's - but no CD player or ICP CD button. The two SE's I used as parts donors are also 96 models, not later models with replaced bumpers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts