Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Radiator Support Reinforcement Problem

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  colour_bill 
#1 ·
Hello,

It has been a while since I have logged on to the site. Unfortunately, I traded in my 2005 Taurus a couple of years ago for a new 2010 Honda Accord EX V6. I was sick of the Ford dealers stringing me along for years with the warranty "repair work" of the continual engine oil leaks with the bull. I needed a non-smoking car that was not in the dealership every 3 months. I refused to repair any of it myself because I paid for the premium warranty plan when I purchased the car.

Anyway, I still have my old reliable 1992 Sable. It has been sitting idle in a friend's yard for 2 years - an exhaust repair gone horribly wrong, a long story. I am putting it back together. Today, I realise that the lower rubber shield in the front is sitting half on the ground. Investigation reveals that one condensor support has fallen off and the other is about to come off as well. The radiator support reinforcement assembly has huge gaping holes. I almost passed out. I really love this car. It has never leaked anything and has a strong sentimental value to the family. Is this assembly welded on the car? If it is bolted on I am willing to repair it. If it is welded on... :( No other part seems to be rusted this bad on the car, even the engine cradle which is nearby. I am baffled by this spot rust through.

See less See more
#3 ·
That thing is welded on IIRC. I wouldn't give up on it. Someone around can cut out the old one and weld in the replacement. Someone has posted a how-to on here for replacing that panel...it'd be worth hunting/searching the forum to see where it is. If I find it I'll post it.

Where are you located? THere's gota be an unsalted/good condition one that could be cut out.

#5 ·
There's gota be like a trade school or something around where they teach welding. Perfect training for students, and cheap for you.

Just unplug the PCM connection and remove the battery before people start welding away...

Is this what you need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-89-90-9...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6461f1ee&vxp=mtr

Or This?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-95-MERCU...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b69563fc&vxp=mtr

I see a few threads when searching for radiator support on here for pre 96 models

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.