Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1998 Taurus SE with a 3.0L. My boyfriend is trying to replace my radiator and he has run into a snag. I've tried helping to no avail. Here's the scoop. He wants to know if anyone can tell us how to remove the transmission lines from the radiator. We have bought the so-called special tools to remove the lines, but it doesn't work. Does anybody have any ideas or know the best way to remove the lines without cutting the metal tubing, but would do so as a last resort. Would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Funny, I just replaced my radiator less than a week ago.

The quick disconnect tool may not come with instructions how to use it. The transmission oil lines are held in by nylon clips inside the fitting. You must have a 3/8" quick disconnect tool to remove and install these oil lines.

The quick disconnect tool forces the nylon clip out of the way to remove the oil lines. If you look at the quick disconnect tool you have a flat side and a chamfered side (beveled edge). It's the chamfered side that is used to release the oil line.

You have to push and hold the disconnect tool while pulling on the oil line. Use this same process to install the oil lines back into the new radiator, of course you'll be pushing instead of pulling.

It's a bit tricky if this is your 1st using this tool.

Monsoon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts