Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right well as you've probably noticed, I'm new here and I don't actually own a Taurus. However, my friend needs help replacing the radiator on his. I'm no stranger to automotive work--I do all my own work on my '72 Volkswagen Super Beetle and as much work as I can on my '09 VW GTI. But considering most of my mechanical experience lies with the air-cooled VW, I have never done any radiator work before nor have I ever worked on a Taurus. Is there a good step-by step guide somewhere that can help us replace the radiator, and are there any special tools that I will need? I seem to recall reading something about transmission lines and needing a tool for those but I could be wrong.

Please reply quickly as we want to start work as soon as possible :)

Thanks!

Clark

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
There might be a guide on here.... I forget. Check the topic finder.

FYI, the radiator comes out the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
If this is your 1st Taurus/Sable radiator remove-replacement it will take you 4 to 6 hours.

Tips:
You'll need 21" of ground clearance as the radiator is removed from the bottom. I used car ramps to get this clearance.

Buy a 3/8" quick disconnect tool to remove the transmission lines. There is about a 1" hole near the headlamps to remove the upper radiator bolts.

Other than that its pretty much a straight forward job of removing bolts and making notes where they came from. If the radiator has been in there a while like mine a lot of dirt will be removed as well. The radiator removal is a dirty, nasty job. You've got dirt, tranny fluid, oil and tranny fluid to deal with.

I got a new radiator from Performance Radiator last December. I've been very happy with it so far. It's brought my temps back to normal again. :)

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Be careful as the A/C condenser is also attached to the radiator. I did a replacement myself. got mine from rockauto...I would recommend them..you can get a discount code here to save 5%, not much it always helps!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Radiator Removal on a '98 Taurus

I need to replace the radiator on my '98 Taurus. I can't seem to remove the trans line connections. I picked up one of those plastic slip on tools at HF but I am not doing something right. How far is the ring suppose to push in (mine seems to go in 1/16 to 1/8")? It's rather cramped in there and I can't get much leverage (but it's only plastic so I don't want to push too hard). Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I need to replace the radiator on my '98 Taurus. I can't seem to remove the trans line connections. I picked up one of those plastic slip on tools at HF but I am not doing something right. How far is the ring suppose to push in (mine seems to go in 1/16 to 1/8")? It's rather cramped in there and I can't get much leverage (but it's only plastic so I don't want to push too hard). Any thoughts?
That's what the quick disconnect tool is all about, it removes the transmissions lines in about 5-seconds.

Wrap the tool around the transmission line, beveled side to radiator.
Push in the tool and then pull away from the radiator. Its a push-pull type action.

You'll get the hang of it. It's not rocket science.

Monsoon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I know it shouldn't be rocket science. But I tried for an hour last night and it wouldn't budge. The tool easily slides in a short ways (maybe 1/8") and then I try to pull out the line but it won't move. I was thinking that I was not pushing it in far enough but I don't know. Does anyone have a photo of what it looks like when it is apart? Could it be I am attacking the wrong side of the fitting (it's hard to see in there but I don't think so...)? Anyway I will try again tonight (it SHOULD just come apart!).

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Thanks, I know it shouldn't be rocket science. But I tried for an hour last night and it wouldn't budge. The tool easily slides in a short ways (maybe 1/8") and then I try to pull out the line but it won't move. I was thinking that I was not pushing it in far enough but I don't know. Does anyone have a photo of what it looks like when it is apart? Could it be I am attacking the wrong side of the fitting (it's hard to see in there but I don't think so...)? Anyway I will try again tonight (it SHOULD just come apart!).
You'll have to force the tool in until its flush with the fitting. 1st time around and it won't go in easy, force the little bastard in. Another tip, you'll have to use the same tool to re-install the transmission lines as well.

I got pretty frustrated when the top transmission line wouldn't go in, so I used the quick disconnect tool to open the clip, shove in the transmission line, remove the tool.

Monsoon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I got the radiator out this weekend. For what it's worth, I gave up on using the line removing tool I had. For the upper trans line I was able to fit a 1" end wrench in to remove the entire fitting. Slow work but then the it comes away far enough. The lower fitting did not have to be removed at all (the line comes out still attached to the radiator). Everything else was easy to remove and the radiator slides out without much effort. On the work bench, I checked the line fittings and here is what I found. The release tool I had purchased (a small plastic tool from HF) was not thick enough and would not release the line. I purchased a metal tool (looks like an "X") and this worked much better. However I still had to "persuade" the tool with a hammer to finally release the line! I am hoping it will go back in easier. Frankly I was very tempted to just cut the lines and use rubber hose...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe the line required a 1/2" removal tool if that is what you asked about. The "X" tool has many sizes depending on how it it used.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As someone else who just did this on my 99,I'd have to also include taking off the plastic covering/molding. If it wasn't for that I would have only took 1-2 hours doing it altogether. Not counting draining or the search for the right tool for the lines. Got both the plastic and metal ones. Best to use the metal and ended up using the 5/16 if I remember correctly.Also might have to spin it around to catch the right angle for the clip. Also if your not sure how long it's going to take I'd also add caps for the lines once you get them off so the trans fluid doesn't leak out.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
...........The release tool I had purchased (a small plastic tool from HF) was not thick enough and would not release the line. I purchased a metal tool (looks like an "X") and this worked much better........ ...
I had the opposite case. The metal piece I had was too thick, and I had to buy a plastic one. The metal wouldn't go in all the way, but the plastic did. By the way, it was not the Taurus transmission line. It was another Ford fuel line.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
I've still got my original radiator in my '97 GL wagon Vulcan 3.0L (198,400 miles now), but I've transfused the tranny fluid a few times by removing the lower line at the tranny. For my vehicle, at least, no tool is needed. There are plastic ends that you just pinch and pull with your hands (I THINK these are the 3/8" connectors, but I wouldn't swear to it). Last transfusion, however, I had a hell of a time getting the line OFF and ON. Don't know if these plastic ends eventually wear out??? Eventually I pretty much just forced the damn thing back IN (damaging the plastic piece somewhat) - and was certain it would end up leaking, but it hasn't (for several months now). I think I also found out that you cannot just replace the plastic piece. You have to replace the entire fitting ... which is B.S. (I think).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts