Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back whan replacing my radiator (i'm sure many of you have done this) I noticed with the radiator removed there was a abundance of space infront of the engine, I also realized that 6 inches from the manifold to the a/c condencer would be nice for a turbo setup.

so where were you thinking of putting the radiator?

I have 2 ideas.

1. trunk mount the radiator and duct the heat out of either side of the licenceplate (larger than stock fans would be used)

2. eliminate the spare tire compartment, cut it off and create a smooth trunk floor. then mount the radiator semi angled underneath the car (again with duel fans)

both ideas would run the hot and cold (return) lines by the pinch weld, ducting done in 2inch steal pipe.

what do you think? just one of those custome things that I like to think about. and maby do in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no thoughts opinions...I guess i'll go back to story telling (what woudl you do 140mph....)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Patients. I think that would be cool but we need a bit more info about your description.

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like what?

2 inch steel piping to and from and then mount her in the trunk or under the trunk. 2 large electric fans. it is just an idea, I wanted some feed back on the idea.

G

·
Not a good idea... Where would you do it? Also you would need a fan, and then you would have to have it located in an area where ambient air would get to it. I think it's a waste of time really...

Sal

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I don't think it could get enough cool air flow over it in the rear. Even the GT which has a rear engine, puts the radiator up front.

Steel pipes would let off a lot of heat, the return trip from the engine to the radiator might make the floor somewhat warm.

It was a good idea to clear up room under the hood, but I don't think it can work

·
Registered
230 Posts
a friend of mine had an older toyota MR-2 with a rear mount radiator. there was this scoop on the back, looked like this

it's a cool idea hope it works out for ya

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I still don't understand why you would do this. :headscratch:

·
Registered
54 Posts
sounds awsome, but near impossible...just an expansion on what you stated before about the trunk floor....what if you cut out the spare tire spot, and angled it so that the air passing under the car would go to cool the radiator...but where would you locate the fans, and the over flow? how would you fill it, and dont you think copper would be a better choice than heavy steel? :huh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I still don't understand why you would do this.
heres why

a while back whan replacing my radiator (i'm sure many of you have done this) I noticed with the radiator removed there was a abundance of space infront of the engine, I also realized that 6 inches from the manifold to the a/c condencer would be nice for a turbo setup.

honestly i would worry about beefing up your tranny or switching over to an MTX with one of the new SHOnut HD gearsets before a turbo. if you are seirous about turboing your SHO go check out shoforum.com theres some good ideas over there. and maybe instead of doing a rear mount radiator, you could do a rear mount turbo. i beleive there was a thread on that here not too long ago.

G

·
Originally posted by pimpin90GL@Oct 1 2004, 08:01 AM
a friend of mine had an older toyota MR-2 with a rear mount radiator. there was this scoop on the back, looked like this

This style of MR2 mounts the radiator in the front, with piping to the back. I just had the displeasure of working on one.

Personally, I think this is a good idea for a lot of reasons. It would cut down on underhood temps, and provide more space as Alex mentioned. The piping to the rear could be insulated to cut down on heat. It would be a PITA to relocate, but I don't think it's a bad idea for someone looking for extra room.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Here is an idea (maybe stupid) Get a body kit (like the AAS) and place it at an angle so the hot air flows out under the bumper. Then you can put you fans behind the radiator where they go. I don't know if that would really work but it poped in my haed as I was reading. You could also make a custom airdam under the car to get more air to it when you are driving.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is not a good idea unless you really know what you are doing. Above 45mph, there is more air moving through the radiator than the fan can push, and this is by design. At the bottom rear of the car, there is not enough pressure differential to achieve this. Even with proper manipulation of airflow under the car you will be hard pressed to achieve the required airflow. If you are going to depend on a fan alone, you will need one that can push three times the cfm of the stock unit.

Your best bet would be to take advantage of the low pressure areas at the rear window and/or directly behind the trunk to draw air through the radiator. You will need to have an effective high-pressure source, so large scoops on the sides with a decent frontal area would be in order.

I'm not intending to disuade this project; it can be done. But it does require more thought than throwing a radiator in the rear with a fan and running lines.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by pimpin90GL@Oct 1 2004, 08:01 AM

thats an intercooler....

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But it does require more thought than throwing a radiator in the rear with a fan and running lines.
I didn't mean for it to come across that way because I am aware of the massive amount of heat that has to be displaced.

(larger than stock fans would be used)

hey bob is there any way you can get a pic of that green parts car (not the SHO) to show the abundance of room with the radiator and condensor removed... if its not to much trouble, I wish I would have thought of that when I was there.

honestly i would worry about beefing up your tranny or switching over to an MTX with one of the new SHOnut HD gearsets before a turbo
I looked into switching it over a few years back and came to the conslusion that it would be about the same price to just buy a beater MTX, you damn near need one to do the swap anyway so if I wanted the MTX I would just buy one. but yes that would be the better route.

and maybe instead of doing a rear mount radiator, you could do a rear mount turbo. i beleive there was a thread on that here not too long ago.
yes your correct there was a thread in reguards to that and I considered it, and the price was very reasonable but like every taurus boost project it is a universal kit, and there is nothing wrong with that because all of the research I did said that the units are very effictive in making big power. if you disagree and feel the need to argue with me pm me I don't want to start a debate. btw the full kit was around $3,400 and includes much of the piping turbo oiling system (electric) waste gate. ect...

I think I would like to try the conventional turbo eventually thoe.

*note*

rember that I was just gathering opinions on the radiator. that said I think with high flow fans and proper ducting it wouldent really be too bad of a project. and a added bonus is I don't have to worry about that pesky discontinued lower rad hose ;)

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no more thoughts eh oh well i'll keep thinking about it and then try convincing my brother to let me expierment (sp) on his car, cince he is planning to completely gut his car for auto X/roadracing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts