Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The lines from the transmission are connected to fittings in the tank on the driver's side of the radiator. There is a coiled tube inside the tank connected to the two fittings. Transmission fluid passes through the coil, transferring heat from the transmission fluid into the coolant through the wall of the coil.

How's that?????

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
True.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright! Thats kindof what I figured. The reason I asked is because a bag got stuck over that section of the radiator and my tranny wound not shift into third. Since I knoe that I am pretty sure it was the bag that caused this to happen.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally posted by sabledale@Sep 23 2004, 04:50 PM
Alright! Thats kindof what I figured. The reason I asked is because a bag got stuck over that section of the radiator and my tranny wound not shift into third. Since I knoe that I am pretty sure it was the bag that caused this to happen.
Wishfull thinking, but a stretch. :)

Chances are you're dealing with a true tranny problem.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt it because this happened about 4 days ago with no problems before it happened (not even the slightest skip), and no problems since it happened. I think it was probally because the tranny could not cool itself down.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally posted by sabledale@Sep 23 2004, 05:25 PM
I doubt it because this happened about 4 days ago with no problems before it happened (not even the slightest skip), and no problems since it happened. I think it was probally because the tranny could not cool itself down.
It would be quite the anomoly if that was indeed the cause of your transmission hiccup.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe that this could easily be the problem of the " transmission hiccup".
If it would not be able to cool down proberly it is just as likely that it would not be able to function proberly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally posted by sabledale@Sep 24 2004, 03:52 PM
I believe that this could easily be the problem of the " transmission hiccup".
If it would not be able to cool down proberly it is just as likely that it would not be able to function proberly.
If you weren't abusing the car at the time, the tranny would not have come close to overheating, even if the cooler was covered. Keep in mind that the cooler is not a cooler as much as it is an internal heat exchanger. It would be less apt to dramatic temperature changes then the engine coolant would.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by sabledale@Sep 24 2004, 01:52 PM
When I got a new radiator (a little over a month ago) I had some custom hoses made so could bypass the trans lines to the radiator. The original plan was to hook it to a trans cooler, but after not being able to mount it I just left it with the bypass.

I don't think the bag over a portion of the radiator caused the trans to shift improperly.. with mine bypassed and me using my SHO's high rev nature to it's full extent in the HOT california weather, I think this disproves your theory.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally posted by sabledale@Sep 27 2004, 11:11 AM
Just to clear up the record I was not beating on it.
Then that transmission would have most likely never approached over heating with a bag over the radiator or not. As long as the motor wasn't overheating, the transmission wasn't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts