Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, last thursday i rear ended someone. :angry: I took my attention off the road for a second to look at some construction worker that i though was going to step in the road and when i looked back there was this lady in a jetta 15 to 20 feet from me doing less than 5 mph on a 45mph highway taking a right turn off the road

well you can see the end result.

I need to replace the core support but i have no idea how to go about it. pics to follow of my progress in posts below.
ive got the bumper, headlights, header panel, etc off now i dont know where to start.

[attachmentid=27706]

[attachmentid=27707]

[attachmentid=27708]

[attachmentid=27709]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
well, last thursday i rear ended someone. :angry: I took my attention off the road for a second to look at some construction worker that i though was going to step in the road and when i looked back there was this lady in a jetta 15 to 20 feet from me doing less than 5 mph on a 45mph highway taking a right turn off the road

well you can see the end result.

I need to replace the core support but i have no idea how to go about it. pics to follow of my progress in posts below.
ive got the bumper, headlights, header panel, etc off now i dont know where to start.

[attachmentid=27708]

[attachmentid=27709]
[/b]
IMHO, that looks totaled to me. Its never going to be straight again. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMHO, that looks totaled to me. Its never going to be straight again. :(
[/b]
thats what i was thinking, but i know where i can get a whole new core support for very cheap. so i was just going to replace the whole thing, ive been told the thing just bolts on, that there isnt any welding to deal with. which would be good, but im trying to confirm that and figure out how to go about get the thing off.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The core support is definitely welded on, with some bolts involved.

Remove the bumber impact absorbers, and the fenders to see the weld points.

If you can weld, it isn't especially difficult to replace the core support.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
there is no welding there

it only a bolted support did changed mine once

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is no welding there

it only a bolted support did changed mine once
[/b]

do you have any pics?

Im getting mixed answers from here and parts dealers. some say it bolts on and some say it is also spot welded on.
hmmmmmmmmmm :dunno:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
sorry dont have any picture but i used to deliver car part and we use to bring those to the shop and that where ive checked on how to repair mine and mine was nto welded on somme otehr car yes buit on my taurus it was not

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Jason, it could be that Mooby's car had been in an askident before he purchased it, it unaware of that, and some hick, simply bolted it back into place. ALL of the ones I've EVER seen have been welded on. I've got pics of our green SHO taken apart while we were painting it, I've got pics of my car taken apart while I was doing the engine swap, but our server in not working at the moment. Let me see if I can get some hosted and I'll post them up.

Ok, I found that this is as far as I took mine apart, but you've already got it farther than that.

Right corner, no bolts here, only spot welds.

left corner after primer, again, no bolts, welded.

left corner after paint, puuuurrdyy!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the pics, now i know whats kinda in store, i have a big project ahead of me it looks like, and i hope its worth it. right now it seems cheaper to do it this way than to buy another car. plus im attached to my bull lol.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
like we all are attached to those car even with their pain and bug lol

rudy may be right but hey this is and easy fix just cut the weld and resolder after

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
It's not gonna be THAT simple. It will have to be squared and level for everything to mount back "as close to original" as it can be. Get a NICE professional type spot weld-bit. Get some good quality air chisels, and remember to keep them sharp and pointed, the better the tool stays sharp, the better it'll cut, without mangling everything. Then after you've got it off and mocked up the new one for fitment, mark some holes close to the ones you drilled out to use for plug welds. That will ensure the "new" is correctly attached to the "old". Remember, measrue 6 times, tack-weld a few places, then re-measure, because things DO move sometimes, if it's all still square, then do a final weld.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts