Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fabricated this simple tester to use on my 2000 Taurus to find a leak in my coolant system and did not want to spend $60.00+ for one. The leak was not obvious until I put the system under pressure. Turned out to be a couple of leaks in the molded hose from the water pump to the tube on the firewall. I used parts I had at home and purchased a coolant recovery tank cap to make the device.

I removed the pressure relief mechanism from the underside by drilling out the plastic with a large drill bit, and filled in the area with epoxy putty. Worked great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
Excellent idea! I have a spare cap laying around as well as a few 30 psi pressure gauges and a few male air line quick connect / disconnect fittings as well as random pipe fittings.

Time to head down to my shop and make one!

Reactions: mplieb

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
I fabricated this simple tester to use on my 2000 Taurus to find a leak in my coolant system and did not want to spend $60.00+ for one. The leak was not obvious until I put the system under pressure. Turned out to be a couple of leaks in the molded hose from the water pump to the tube on the firewall. I used parts I had at home and purchased a coolant recovery tank cap to make the device.

I removed the pressure relief mechanism from the underside by drilling out the plastic with a large drill bit, and filled in the area with epoxy putty. Worked great.

Good use of OE failed caps. I had 2 of 4 cars fail. One sudden dump of the tank all over the engine, one per the pic just leaking. So all of mine have the new MC caps. Old MC camps might as well be put to some use.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
^^^ Thats why I have a "spare" cap laying around...... replaced my original several years ago with the updated Motorcraft cap before the original old design cap failed on me. I threw the original cap in my piles of junk. Now it will be put to good use. I never throw anything away. I still have good parts laying around from cars I dont own anymore. Wife asked me why I keep parts from cars we dont have anymore. My reply: "I might buy another one of those some day, and will have parts for it". Wife just walked away shaking her head.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent idea! I have a spare cap laying around as well as a few 30 psi pressure gauges and a few male air line quick connect / disconnect fittings as well as random pipe fittings.

Time to head down to my shop and make one!
Thank you! Just remember you have to seal the area where the pressure relief mechanism is, because of the vent channels there. I removed the mechanism, but it still has to be sealed or it won't build pressure. Hence the use of the epoxy putty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts