Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
I have done three rad replacements but it is hard to say if the ramps will be high enough. I usually jack up from the subframe to get clearance. Figuring the clearance not jacked up is five or six inches and then add eight to that and you get 14 inches. That pretty close and you can tilt the rad a little to the front. I think the rad height is around 15 inches but not sure.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
No it is the heavy metal frame that holds the engine. In my opinion it is the safest place to jack up a old Taurus that has body rot that is weaking the rocker panel factory jacking points.

Where do you jack it up? Just in the front center so you can lift the whole car at once? Do you still put the stands on the frame rails or do you just put them under the subframe? Curious, since I've always done one side at a time.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Where do you jack it up? Just in the front center so you can lift the whole car at once? Do you still put the stands on the frame rails or do you just put them under the subframe? Curious, since I've always done one side at a time.
I have used this method of handy safe lift. But I keep a scrap 2x6 around the garage for this. I have removed the jack to use it in another location, leaving the car resting on the wood/tire. But I use the 2X6 for longer support, the grain goes in/out not long ways. My under jack board was made from some scrap kitchen cabinet doors. Can't jack on blacktop drive.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,873 Posts

If I lift both front sides, I use two hydraulic jacks, one on each side, and place jackstands under the subframe. If I am dropping the subframe I will place the jackstands on those two reinforced unibody rails that form the rear mounts for the subframe. I do slide the removed tires under the car for secondary safety if the jack stands fail but I also leave the hydraulic jacks in place. I have three hydraulic jacks and two hydraulic bottle jacks for doing my car maintenance collected over forty years of working on my cars. I also have a level concrete garage floor to work on. Use wheel chocks, they are important.

I never use the factory jack and in Ohio on older rusted Taurus I don't trust the original factory jack points.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts