Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Taurus 3.0L DOHC

I'm at 218,000 miles and I need to start thinking about/planning on my next part to fix

How easy is to replace this radiator? Do it yourself or a shop? Estimate $$$ Time it takes to complete?

Recommended aftermarket (Brands) or Ford?

Special tools needed?

I heard about bleeding the system but how?

Hoses: Just about all are original, except the Y-coolant pipe. Which ones should I just replace because of the mileage/age of the car?

Any suggestions, appreciated.
Doug

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Radiators come out the bottom. Not too bad if you are mechanically inclined. Taking the bumper off makes it easier but is not required. No special tools are needed other than the tranny line disconnect tool. Takes about a half hour to remove.

All the hoses should definitely be changed. But if the radiator is not leaking and the engine is not overheating I would just leave it in.

You do not have to bleed the system as long as the coolant tank and pressure cap are in good shape.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Highly recommend removing bumper and replacing radiator hoses. I was there a couple of months ago and it was much easier to take it out. I bought a rad off ebay for like 60 bucks and it has been great and fit perfect but to each their own. I have also used and liked radiatorbarn.com also. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the transmission cooler lines?

Thanks for all those suggestions.

Now, I have another question about the transmission cooler lines I am supposed to remove from the radiator. If I am draining the coolant what about the transmission fluid in these lines going into the radiator?

Thanks much,
Douglas

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You will loose some fluid. If you are removing the radiator then leave the lines on it. Cut or disconnect the tranny to radiator lines where they are rubber. The drop the whole thing out with the lines attached. Lot easier to remove the lines with the radiator out in the open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts