Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? Just curious before I buy. I bought a BEL a few years ago that was supposed to be really good and it was worthless so I thought I'd ask first. $150 is about my ceiling. Don't say I have to pay more for a good one. My Whistler I have now is comparable to the Val 1 and it only cost me $110.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind, I just bought one. <_<

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hope you understand that most of the time when the detector goes off you are already caught. They had a segment on the local news about them and had a 15 year Tx State Highway Patrol guy talkabout how many people he writes tickets to that have those expensive little things sitting on thier dash.

J

·
0 Posts
Mine works incredibly well - bought it at Radio Shack - it is supposedly a variation of some kind of Cobra one. They are very effective when there is other traffic in front of you on the highway and when the cops in town go around town with their radar on - it shoots everywhere and my detector pics it up from quite a ways away - same deal in town when they are parked in a parking lot or something. Mine has more than paid for itself.
The only time I got a ticket was a time I forgot to turn it on
I do realize they aren't 100% fool proof or accurate by any means, but they most certainly do help. I don't go speeding around like I am invincible just because I have it as I see a lot of people do. You still have to be careful. Most Laser guns that cops use are dead accurate (I usually only detect them on the highway) and most of the time by the time your detector picks it up you have already been clocked. <_<

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Dec 15 2003, 03:27 PM
Most Laser guns that cops use are dead accurate (I usually only detect them on the highway) and most of the time by the time your detector picks it up you have already been clocked. <_<
Yup.

Got picked off at almost 1/2 mile away doing a little over twice the speed limit. On the Long Island Expressway.

Lidar is teh suck. Or at least it is for us late night speeders...

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
You need a radar jammer to go with the detector. I have both. When the radar detector goes off, I adjust my speed and turn everything off. So, by the time the cop see me, I'm already driving at the speed limit. It's the only sure way to keep from getting a ticket....that's if they use the radar. If they are behind you at night, most of the time they won't use radar. They'll just clock and pace you.

If you are out on country roads and you're by yourself, it's best not to speed even if you have a radar detector. If you do, you are taking a huge risk even if you have both a radar detector and a jammer. Nothing is fool proof.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The point was that you can save yourself a lot of money by.......you guessed it, not speeding (atleast not too much). I don't have one and low and behold I have never gotten a ticket (5 over in city 5-10 over on highway).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did anyone read my post? I don't need advice on how to drive with a radar detector. My post mentioned 4 radar detectors and that I owned two of them. I want to buy a new one. I fully understand that they are not fool proof. I am not some kid looking to go tearing around your neihborhood. This is actually for my wife who got a ticket for 41 in a 35. They don't make you invincible, but they can give you a little piece of mind that you'll avoid stupid tickets like that.

Laser sucks. A jammer is the only thing that works and the cheapest one that works is $300.

To finish mykej27 thought, jammers are great but not required. I am not doing cannonball run or anything. I have avoided stupid tickets without one. They can be illegal. Passive jammers are WORTHLESS. Active jammers work very well.

J

·
0 Posts
Sorry we got off topic there, but I would recommend the detector I got at Radio Shack... They only had 3 options when I went and I went with the once priced in the middle. I wound up paying around $120 for it, but this has been at least 6 months, maybe a year ago that I bought it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts