Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to replace the top rad hose the other day because it burst on me(newish hose)and im wondering if the cooling system is the culprit because I think my cooling fluid is WAY to friggin hot.

I just got back from a 20 minute drive and after I parked I checked the new hose and it was so freaking hot I couldn't hold it for more then a second.

Now my fan clicks on and off so I know it's working, but is there a chance it's not working properly and as a result the fluid is not being cooled enough?

My temp gauge never reads more then half(pointing str8 up)so it's not telling me there is too much heat so im wondering what's going on?

I have a 92 taurus BTW.

Question# 2. Im planning on replacing the lower rad hose and once the new one is on can i just fill the rad with 50/50 and all is fine OR do I have to bleed the system of air before Im good to drive? When I replaced the top rad hose I just topped up the rad(4 liters or so)after and started driving so not sure if that was ok or bad....lol

Thanks all:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Your thermostat is rated to open (if it's working correctly) ... somewhere between 160 and 196 degrees, so, yeah, the hose might be a little too hot to handle. The guage is also a "if it's working properly" proposition.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The guage is also a "if it's working properly" proposition.
mine goes up and down like a gauge is supposed to.

cheap to find out the culprit, for the most part. pull the cap and see if you can SEE the fluid churning, if not, pull the thermostat, see if it's good. If so, I'd replace anyway (since you're there), then move to water pump. all these will be cheaper than getting the radiator checked or replaced.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Get a second opinion. Use a thermometer to measure the temparature at the thermostat housing. BTW anything above about 160 Degrees F feels very hot to the touch.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
After a 20inute drive you expected to be able to hold the rad hose more then a few seconds? I'm not trying to sound like a tool, but if the thermostat opens, 212 degree coolant is passing through it. I doub't there;s many out there that can stand that kind of temp

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
^^^^^^ +1

I cant touch a rad hose when coolant is at operating temp for more than a second either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe you radiator has a lot of gunk in it (on the outside)? hit it with an air compressor but be careful not to damage the fins. Maybe its got gunk on the inside? get your radiator flushed, id take it to a shop for that. Your thermostat could be faulty, and not opening at the right temp, easy fix (I just did mine today), about $8 for a thermostat and gasket at napa...

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
The fans are cycling on and off. Temp gauge is indicating normal temp. There is no problem with the engine, radiator or any other part of the cooling system. Modern cars run HOT. The low speed fans dont even turn on until coolant temp hits around 210 deg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts