Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Taurus 3.0.
The problem I am having is, the fan won't come on at all. So I hooked it up to the batery. Then it worked. Is there a sensor that runs the fan or is it controled by the main computer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor reports the engine temp to the computer.

When needed, the computer turns on a relay in that black box mounted to the upper (IRCM) radiator mount. Power from that relay then turns on the fan.

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 89 too, here's a trick I did with mine, it's probably considered cheating but it works! Here´s the story:

After replacing the Temp sensor for a new one, tracing all the wires that go into the fan, and wasting countless hours trying to find out why the computer wouldn't order the fan to spin when it was needed, my conclusion was that the Temp reading logic wasn't reliable anymore and considering my car has a Temp Gauge that I can use to determine when the car is about to overheat I decided to install a switch under my dashboard to Force the Fan to be activated. Here's how it works: The Temp sensor has two wires, if you cut one of them in the middle and wire it to a switch you can Force the computer to think the Temp sensor is not working, therefore the puter by default will Turn on the Fan beause it's blind to the engine's Temp. Since then I can activate the fan at will. Sometimes the Temp sensor logic still works fine but monitoring the Temp Gauge I noticed I need to activate the Fan manually at least twice on a regular trip.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
48 Posts
Eduardo,

Doing your mod is NOT a very good idea.

What you are doing is forcing the computer to run in a super-rich condition all the time while the switch is thrown. This wastes fuel and causes all kinds of problems with the engine management and the cats (if present).

Please properly repair your car and don't suggest this as a fix.

If someone wants to do something different than stock, you can purchase aftermarket fan controllers that measure the temp at the radiator and can be adjusted to turn the fan on at a selected temperature.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check the fuse box for that relay. Is there a number or code. So that way I know that its the correct relay?

Does the ECT sensor run the temp gauge aswell. Reason I am asking, is because the gauge seems to be working fine. When its hot or cold its shows up.

For now I hooked up a switch and a 40amp relay to my fan motor. Works great. But it draws alot of amps.
I might go with this setup.
Check out this link..
http://65.54.244.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=...2findex%2eshtml

·
Registered
148 Posts
The fan relay is under the radiator shroud. it is a very expensive unit you will probally want to scope the junkyards to get one. It controls all relays including the fuel pump it had about 20 wires going to it I think it is called a RELAY CONTROL MODULE they do go out and it is probally what is causing it not to work. And yeas the fan should come on if you unplug the coolant temp sensor. It is located right behind the oil fill on the manifold behind the thermostat it has 2 wires on it. This is the location for the 3.0 V6 not sure where it is on the 4 cyl. let me know if it does turn on when unplugging this sensor but don't leave it unplugged just use it to test the RELAY MODULE

·
Registered
318 Posts
Didn't Ford issue a service bulletin on this problem?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The fan should come on when the climate control is in a position to turn on the A/C compressor. At idle put the temp to the coldest position and turn on the defroster.

If the fans don't come on it is the relays. You can wire in your own if you want, cheaper than a new CCRM but a used one can be had for less hassle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the ECT sensor run the temp gauge aswell. Reason I am asking, is because the gauge seems to be working fine. When its hot or cold its shows up.[/b]
No (at least in my 3.8L-89) the Temp Gauge uses a Temp Sending plug to read the engine's Temp, it's a single wired metal plug, the ECT sensor has 2 wires. Last year the Temp Gauge in my car died and after they replaced the Temp sender plug the Temp Gauge springed back into life again, so I guess the ECT is used only by the computer and the Temp Sender plug is what makes the Temp gauge work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No (at least in my 3.8L-89) the Temp Gauge uses a Temp Sending plug to read the engine's Temp, it's a single wired metal plug, the ECT sensor has 2 wires.[/b]
Great that makes alot of sence. So should I replace the ECT or just leave my setup the way it is. I found that my rad was very cool after driving in rush our for an hour. I can touch the rad no problem, with the fan running all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So should I replace the ECT or just leave my setup the way it is.[/b]
My car was like yours, somedays it would work fine but others it would fail to make the fan spin at the right time until I decided to modify the fan's logic.
Now for Peace of Mind if you have like $20 bucks to spare it wouldn't hurt if you replace the ECT sensor, you can install it yourself just make sure you do it when the car is cold, if your Thermostat it's over 10 years old replace it too.

Considering your car's age I wouldn't trust the stock Fan logic anymore
For now I hooked up a switch and a 40amp relay to my fan motor. Works great. But it draws alot of amps.[/b]
You know your hack sounds pretty solid, if your alternator is in great shape you shouldn't worry that much about the amp consumption IMO, so just keep an eye on the Temp gauge and hit the switch when required, or look for an aftermarket fan controller as someone pointed out before, but what you already did sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
So the Taurus fan doesn't always run? I'm pretty sure at least in my Taurus that the fans always run, but speeds up when the AC is turned on, or the coolant is too warm.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The fan should only run at speeds below 35 when the defrost, A/C, floor+vent position is chosen or if the coolant temp is above 215F..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts