Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. I have a 2001 taurus ses . A friend of my started to install a new rack in the car. Will he didn't finish it. So my question is which port on the rack is the high pressure?

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know why he didn't finish the job, cause it's a real pita job! I gave up after 3 hours trying to take the rack out one a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I did a rack on my 98 by myself. But it took forever and it was a pain
you really need to have the car on jack stands and loosen and lower
the subframe to do it. then have a jack on the subframe to help lower
it and gently raise it to help reconnecting the steering gear shaft.
Make sure the steering wheel is centered and locked before you
start the project. You will need 18MM stubby wrenches as i recall to
get the fittings on the rack. And have the special Teflon washers on those
fittings on the rack. Even with the stubbys, it sucks big time. little
room to maneuver. You will probably need a front end tool kit also
to remove tie rod ends and such. Harbor freight will be your friend there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well I guess you'll know if you hook it up backwards. The wheels will turn in the wrong direction.
Seriously, on my '03 the fittings were slightly different and it wouldn't hook up incorrectly.
Yes, it is a pita. Don't even thing about it without all the tools and a stubby 13mm wrench. You MUST lower the subframe. the rack is attached to it. Just plan on it taking a long time, maybe a two-sixpack job.

·
Registered
53 Posts
> Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

You surely mean to say: your Taurus will protect your wife and your daughters with its life.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
> Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

You surely mean to say: your Taurus will protect your wife and your daughters with its life.
Daughter's (mine) on her first week with it. 95K miles later still hauling. JY top glass, and hood, pro did the windshield. One tough cookie. Of course total and buy back $406.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
just got my sons rack out . new one came with 2 different size teflon washers and 2 round rubber washers same size. anyone know where they go cant figure it out and no directions at all. looks like 1 largers teflon will fit high pressure side of unit small 1 is too small for anything and didnt see any rubber o rings when we removed it thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts