Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some white stripes for my green 97 GL. should i get one down the middle? if so, what size. or should i get two? if so, what size?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
would a single 10 inch silver carbon fiber stripe look good?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump

·
Registered
701 Posts
Let me guess, you're 17 and you just inherited this car from your grandmother. Racing stripes are hideous and look retarded on anything but a Shelby. I assume you're planning on doing it yourself. I suggest you save yourself the time, money, and the trouble of ruining your paint by not doing it.

By the way, when you post at 2 am, you might want to give it a more than an hour before you start bumping.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4304602245_2cdcbdb9ba.jpg
That may be somewhat what it looks like. [Lol is that his spare tire on the front?]

TBH it's not that good looking. I would save your money right now for upgrading engine parts, or fixing any problems that may have occurred over the years. Even just getting gas right now is more important.

But it's your car, your image, make it how you want it.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
put dragon graphics on the sides, slime ball tint the windows throw some 13in 100 spoke rims on it, spray the bumpers yellow and paint all the interior trim green. add a red velvet interior and you will be pimpin!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am 14. turning 15 this monday. that is when my mom will give it to me. i am actually doing this as like an ironic joke. taking a totally crappy car and putting stripes, neon, and new tint on it. but dont worry. i've only put 100$ into it and thats all i plan on putting into it. unless it needs a new part. and yes i can do all this my self. im a do it yourselfer. i built a 1500$ gaming pc lol. just wanted some feedback as to what you guys thought. i have already ordered all the stuff to do it with.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
OK, first off, its the kids first car. Let him think of things to do. That is a big problem with people recently. The whole idea of doing mods on your car are to make it different and uniqe.

That said, I will agree that a single stripe on a '97 would look out of place. Before you go putting the time and effort into a racing strip, make sure the body & paint is up to par. Nothing looks worse than new graphics on a car thats faded, rusted or just beat up. Take some time, bring the car up to a high standard first, then start to think about mods.

I thought about putting dual stirpes on the wagon before I did the hood graphics. Two things stopped me from doing it.
1) After sitting down and really thinking it over and even a quicky photo shop image, I didnt think it fit the body lines of my Gen4 (2003).
2) when I talked to the guys at the shop and found out they wanted $400 to stripe the car, I canned that idea really fast.

Now again, that being said, I did rocker stripes on the wagon. Personally, I like the look and have had alot of positive compliments on it. I also did a flat black section on the hood and infront of the grill & lights. Again, some on here dont like it, and thats their opinion and I respect that. I have had many more compliments on that as well and I am very happy with the outcome.

This car has been a 3 to 4 year project, doing a little bit at a time. I do show the car through the summer and have won many trophies with it as well. Just take your time, make sure what you want to do before you do it and you will be alot happier.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Racing stripes are hideous and look retarded on anything but a Shelby.
Ahem.

Oh and that wagon looks really nice. Professionally done, not ricer-in-the-garage work.

·
Registered
538 Posts
i am 14. turning 15 this monday. that is when my mom will give it to me. i am actually doing this as like an ironic joke. taking a totally crappy car and putting stripes, neon, and new tint on it. but dont worry. i've only put 100$ into it and thats all i plan on putting into it. unless it needs a new part. and yes i can do all this my self. im a do it yourselfer. i built a 1500$ gaming pc lol. just wanted some feedback as to what you guys thought. i have already ordered all the stuff to do it with.
I'm tempted to make fun of you for being so young, but we were all 14 year old tinkerers once. :p

There are exactly two reasons not to do any of those mods to your Taurus; The first is that we all think they would look like ****. The second reason is the fact that you know they would look like **** but want to turn your Taurus into a rolling statement about rice mobiles.

The problem with your reasoning is that it will diminish the value of your own car in your eyes. And seeing that this is your first vehicle, that's going to set a really bad precedent for your future vehicle ownership.

Your first vehicle is something you should cherish owning, because owning a vehicle is not a right, particularly at your age. You should cherish it because doing so will have you educating yourself on proper vehicle maintenance, repair and modification. Sure you'll **** up a few things on your first ride doing them yourself, but that doesn't mean you should set about doing them with anything less than the best intentions.

If you want to make a statement with your car, do so by setting an example with it and standing by that example if you're ever confronted over it.

Treat your vehicle as you want it to treat you. Treat it as if it will be the only car you will ever own. Pass it on in even better condition than it was as you inherited it.

That's how you become a good car owner and that's how you wind up owning good cars.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Im going to try out the 'wagon" style hood painting tomorrow with plastic dip. If it looks ****** il be out $5 and ill peel it off.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When I was 14 with my first vehicle, a 1980 F-150, all I was new u-joints and a 4 barrel carb. I was 17 by the time I got the carb, a Holly 600 cfm on an Edelbrock intake.

Here it is in all it's glory with my 1985 Topaz stock car in tow. That strapping young buck is your's truly at the age of 18.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4304602245_2cdcbdb9ba.jpg
That may be somewhat what it looks like. [Lol is that his spare tire on the front?]

TBH it's not that good looking. I would save your money right now for upgrading engine parts, or fixing any problems that may have occurred over the years. Even just getting gas right now is more important.

But it's your car, your image, make it how you want it.
+1 on spending money on mechanical stuff over cosmetic until you're sure you have it under control. Most people have the unlucky happening of getting their car to look almost just right and then the engine quits or the transmission dies. Always make sure it runs right before you go throwing money at looks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts