Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since my parents are in florida, and it got nasty outside, I have been making my sister drive mom's 2007 Fusion SEL awd. I am very glad I made that choice, as are my parents. If she had been in the 01 focus, she probably would have been taken away on a stretcher or possible worse. I was in the focus waiting for her to meet me at a truck stop at I69 and sr28, when she called and said she was in a wreck, and was about 3miles from me, I took off and got there. You could see where the path through the slush was, and the fusion had gone through a fence and smacked a tree with the pass side a pillar. Some training I have had kicked in instantly, I jumped out at the scene and immediately killed the engine as the car had slid sideways over several metal fenceposts. I then checked and made sure there was no fuel leaking, then I tried to calm her and told he to just sit still. Help was on the way. No airbags deployed(this car does have side curtains), and the fuel shutoff never tripped.

Anyways, I call into the sheriffs dept for an eta on a deputy and advise them she was unhurt, just shaken up, and that an off duty emt was on the scene and agreed. I then advised them to start a tow truck headed that way. After the EMT stopped and checked her out, we moved her and waited for the sheriff's deputy to arrive. The deputy I had met before and was very nice about the situation.

He had asked me if the car was AWD and I said yes, I made the statement about how dumb it is of ford to put summer only tires on an awd in this region, and he agreed. Everything got sorted out and the car is now living its last days with us in the barn parked next to the sho and sable awaiting the insurance adjuster to come say its totalled. There is not a single untouched panel on the car, and the heavy impact to the pass side a pillar probably twisted the unibody.

I will upload more pictures later on, but this is it for now.

[attachmentid=22991]

[attachmentid=22992]

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
Well technically, if she had been in the focus, it would take her longer to get anywhere do to not able to accelerate as fast, thereby not having put her in that spot at that time in first place. Also the other car having different charactoristcs (traction, weight) it may have never headed for the tree...

:ph34r:

I think to much.

Glad she's ok. Its a relief to hear anyone you know is ok after a accident of any sort. :)

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Glad your sister is OK.
Cars can be replaced.
How old is your sister (in driving experience) and were the roads icy?? :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's good that she was able to walk away from it. It looks like the car did it's job -- it gave itself so that she could be fine.

Good luck with the car, man!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad your sister is OK.
Cars can be replaced.
How old is your sister (in driving experience) and were the roads icy?? :)
[/b]
Ice and slush. And she is 17 and this is going on her 3rd winter driving experience. BTW, stability was left on, and I am going to assume that had something to do with it. I never drove with it on in these conditions, as when you hit slush or ice, stability kicks in and the rear end will step out and try to pass the front....

Luke, the pictures don't really show it completely. It is black, and hides things well...she hit the tree fairly hard, and the rocker is twisted under, also, I think the unibody is tweaked.....there is not a single body panel that isn't damaged.....

I'm tempted to pillage the projector fog lights to adapt to the sho.....lol

Andrew

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
The road doesn't look that bad right there. You'd think an AWD could handle that.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
The road doesn't look that bad right there. You'd think an AWD could handle that.
[/b]
Well if you have summer tires on, AWD can't do everything. Having the right tires always helps

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
and as with any car, one mistake be it too fast for conditions or an over correction of a slide can spell disaster for anyone

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Glad everyone is OK. You can't blame Ford for using summer tires, though. The responsibilty to have the right tires for the driving conditions lies only with the driver. My AWD Infiniti M35X came with summer tires. I made the decision to put winter tires on the car well before the snowy season started.

[/b]

Let's not forget that all steering and most of the braking on any car occurs with the front wheels. It doesn't matter if the car has AWD drive or not. In terms of steering and braking AWD is no beter than FWD. The people who don't understand this are the ones who end up in the ditch.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Markus, that's exactly what we were told the first time we stepped foot on (or brought our cars on) Gingerman, during driving instruction. I had Dave Kagel showing me the ropes during the first session, and learning that the front end can do one of three things: speed up, slow down, or turn, but not all at the same time, was one of the most important driving lessons I've ever learned.

With that said, Andrew, I'm glad she's alright. Women and waffle irons first!

JR

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Glad she's OK Andrew!

You are up near Chicago, right?

If so, that's the same storm that came down my way in Ohio - it was pretty nasty! The snow was very icy and wet which is somewhat unusual, it was almost as bad as driving on pure ice. Even with the Expedition in 4WD I did quite a bit of tire spinning and I have aggressive snow-rated all terrain tires. When it is just "normal" snow the Expedition rarely spins tires in 2WD, let alone 4! That was a particularly bad storm for some reason...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad she's OK Andrew!

If so, that's the same storm that came down my way in Ohio - it was pretty nasty! The snow was very icy and wet which is somewhat unusual, it was almost as bad as driving on pure ice. Even with the Expedition in 4WD I did quite a bit of tire spinning and I have aggressive snow-rated all terrain tires. When it is just "normal" snow the Expedition rarely spins tires in 2WD, let alone 4! That was a particularly bad storm for some reason...
[/b]
just north of indy.....I am guessing what finished it off was the stability control, I have nearly had it wreck that fusion in the same conditions last year....when it kicks in the back end will try to pass the front(spin)
Mom has had the same thing happen, just on gravel.
And they were the stock michelin pilot sports.....and no, with those wheels, we weren't given a choice of tires....

Edit: The car did a full spin and half before hitting the tree, and christine said she had thought she had orrected it enough on back, as she said the slide started just before the bridge.....and she isn't a lousy driver either, she does autocross and knows car control very well.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Glad she's OK Andrew!

[/b]
just north of indy.....I am guessing what finished it off was the stability control, I have nearly had it wreck that fusion in the same conditions last year....when it kicks in the back end will try to pass the front(spin)
Mom has had the same thing happen, just on gravel.
And they were the stock michelin pilot sports.....and no, with those wheels, we weren't given a choice of tires....

Edit: The car did a full spin and half before hitting the tree, and christine said she had thought she had orrected it enough on back, as she said the slide started just before the bridge.....and she isn't a lousy driver either, she does autocross and knows car control very well.

Andrew
[/b][/quote]

Andrew, nobody's saying she's a bad driver. Even the best drivers in the world can't repeal the laws of physics, and even the best drivers get caught off guard in slippery conditions. This is why we have car insurance :)

Regarding tires. Ford may have not given you a choice of tires but there was nothing stopping you from installing winter tires after bringing the car home. So again, not Ford's fault. I too had no choice of tires with the M35X - they were summer only. I knew when I purchased the car I'd need to buy winter tires.

The important thing here is that your sister is fine. Hopefully there was a lesson learned - once the car is either repaired or replaced winter tires will be installed on it. Even if it's AWD. I'm sure you and your family are going to mull on the question, "would she have gone into the ditch if the car had had winter tires?", for quite a while.

If the car is totalled will it be replace by another Fusion or perhaps a new Taurus?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the car is totalled will it be replace by another Fusion or perhaps a new Taurus?
[/b]
both are a possibility, and mom will order one as that car was custom ordered and a rare combo when it was purchased

Andrew

·
Registered
161 Posts
What odd combinations of options did it have?

Also I should point out that it wasnt the stability control's fault as the Fusion does not offer stability control standard or as an option...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What odd combinations of options did it have?

Also I should point out that it wasnt the stability control's fault as the Fusion does not offer stability control standard or as an option...
[/b]
stability, traction, idk wtf it is

it acted the same way our last ford did in these conditions(bring the back end around), and that vehicle had ford's stability control.....so please, explain to me how the system is obviously different?

It had a unique 4 different colors in the interior. It was one of the first awd's sold in indiana, and perhaps the first for not having navi and the rear spoiler. Being an SEL, 2 heat ranges in the seats, camel leather, camel lower dash, wood grain, charcoal upper dash, and the standard opaque headliner/upper. Also, satellite radio, and a few other touches I have never seen on another fusion. Just some of the extra option boxes were checked....

I will update as more info comes through. The rear suspension is twisted, as is the unibody and the whole rear end. Everything is twisted nicely.

Also, from exploring the scene, we found the part from the tailight at the bridge, which means that could have been what snapped her into the fence. She could still be the cause, hell if I know....all that matters, is she's safe, and the car will either be essentially brand new after rebuild, and traded in afterwards, or it will be totalled.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 65 Posts