Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if things couldn't get worse this year. (money-wise)

Approximately at 7:15 PM, after I finished one of my finals, I got a call saying my mother was in a car accident.

I drove an hour down the road to where she works/is staying in, and everyone seems to be in good shape, aside from a couple of bruises.

The car has an estimated $5,000 in damage, which I assume will be totaled. So it appears we will be in the market for another car.

I assumed we wouldn't have to worry about getting another car so soon, especially since we just picked up the 96 last Friday from being in the transmission shop for nearly 2 weeks.

At least everyone is ok. Things could have been a lot worse.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Gees, glad she is OK man. $5K in damage doesn't sound like it's going to be put back on the road :\

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, especially since it's only worth $2-3k total. We still haven't payed off the transmission. :/

·
Registered
164 Posts
wow sorry to hear that man.. glad everyone's ok..
It reminds me of the cavalier i crashed into last week.... Its ridiculous how fast these cars just crumble into peices... i simply nudged him and his airbags opened, cracking the dash and the windshied without counting the cracked bumper....
Cost to repair that car --> 1100$ ... Value of the car --> 2000$

But hey, this could be a good opening to buy a taurus! :p

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're still in the process of deciding what should replace it. I've considered Taurii, but we shall see in a week or so. She seemed attached to the 08 Cobalt we had while the 96 was in the shop. It'll all come down to money, though.

We get to see the carnage of the 96 tomorrow. :noes:

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got pics. Only one door can be opened, and the airbags did not go off, nor can the seat come upright again.

·
Registered
284 Posts
wow, thats not good

·
Registered
971 Posts
jesus... good to hear everyone is alright, that is one helluva hard impact...

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I honestly thought we would get a few more years out of it before we would have to replace it. Something didn't set well with me before this happened, maybe it was just that I was taking a final that night.

We should hear from the insurance company this Monday to see what the final verdict is.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
jesus... good to hear everyone is alright, that is one helluva hard impact...
[/b]
Losing a car is not fun and I don't want to bash anyone, but it doesn't take much to crumple a cavalier.

That MIGHT have left a dent if a taurus hit it.

What hit it anyways?

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to Carfax, a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon.

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just picked up our new ride today. Details and pics later.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
that was fast!

*waits for pics*

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
** Peers into crystal ball......

2007 Saturn Ion :x:

And it's Silver :ph34r:

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:ph34r:

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 year later, and still no settlement. I had no idea that it took this long. :dunno:

We did end up receiving $1,200 for the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That sucks, my friends Cavalier seems to breaking down pretty quickly. If I remember correctly, her older sister wrecked it, so it was fixed after that (eventually). Then going to McD's, it got stuck in P, you could move the shifter, but it never really shifted, and that put her back a few weeks at least. Now last night after work (when it is about 20 degrees), it wouldn't start. Seems like it's going to be sort of a money pit.

·
COTM Advisor
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Overall, it was a very reliable car. The only major thing that was done was the transmission. Our family had owned a few others in the past, but they were sold.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts