Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so whoever saw my other topic about having no power in the wagon knows that the car just had NOTHING to it and just felt gutless..... this is the original topic http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/164968-01-sable-no-power-please-help.html

So last week I went and cut out the rear cat after hearing the noise when I banged the cat. Turns out that 1/2 the honeycomb was broken ratteling away blocking flow. Whatever wasnt broken was partly blocked as well. I took vacation and have not been around to finish the job so I figured I'd do it today. I left the cat out and replaced it with some 2" pipe. I must say that I like the exhaust note without that third cat! Then I took it for a drive............ NICE! I'm actually pretty damn impressed with the power the duratec has up in the higher rpm range. I got to 6K easily and the car pulled REALLY nice for a big heavy wagon. To tell you the truth, I think it pulls about as good as my v8 tbird.

I have one more GRRRR moment though..... I replaced the wiper blades, and I really dont know how someone can screw up the size. They are supposed to be 22" driver, 20" passanger. The ones on it......... 18" driver, 17" passanger. Seriously........ how do you screw that up??

At this point I may just leave it as is without the cat. It's not monitored by an 02 sensor so it shouldnt trigger any CEL's. I might also sell my tbird for another vehicle being that this one is FINALLY fixed(only took a month:closedeyes:). With our 3rd on the way I'll need a bigger vehicle than my Tbird. Plus with the way the winters have been lately, the 4x4 will come in handy :D

Either way, the whole point of this is to say that now the the wagon is 'fixed' I'm actually pretty impressed with the power this v6 puts out. Good stuff and thanks to all that helped me find where the problem lied
:banana:

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A quick before and after

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
A Duratec Taurus is a really nice car. Only 35HP less than a V-8 SHO. 55HP more than a Vulcan. I love mine...

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Duratec Taurus is a really nice car. Only 35HP less than a V-8 SHO. 55HP more than a Vulcan. I love mine...
It definately moves! It's got the same HP as my 96 Tbird(but it has 100ft lbs tq less than the bird), but it seems like it's got some good pickup up top.

I took it for another ride before and honestly I couldnt keep my foot out of it. I know that I'm going to be selling the bird, but I havent decided if I'm going to get a van for the wife and me take the wagon or a truck for me and the wife keep the wagon. I might convince her to give me the wagon ;).

Congrats! Sounds good! Leave the third off.
Thanks. It really does have a pretty good sound with that 3rd cat off. I may just leave it that way till emissions testing. If it fails visual(cause of all the damn clamps I had to use).... I'll get the cat and put it back on, but till then it's going to stay off.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Congrats on fixing the car! Nice chirp/squeal of the tires :D You should keep the wagon for yourself...

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on fixing the car! Nice chirp/squeal of the tires :D You should keep the wagon for yourself...
:rolleyes2:

So..... the wife and I finally agreed on what's going to be the fate of the cars. The Tbird is being sold(that was obvious with 2 kids and one on the way there's just NO room for everyone), I'm going to take the wagon, and I'm getting a used van for the wife that we will use as the family vehicle and tow vehicle for my boat when I have it all fixed and ready to go out. :D Now I just have to find a van that is decent enough for the wife to drive.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Depends on the year babar...Gen 3s had 145hp, Gen 4s had 155-7 depending on your source.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts