Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have broken a pitman arm puller. I cannot get the ball joint off and I cannot pry the control arm down enough to install the quick struts in the front of my 98 taurus. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Can you not break the control arm from the ball joint? If that's the case, try to get to autozone or some loan a tool place and get another puller. If you just can't get the ball joint stud out of the control arm hole, try lowering the subframe, just the rear bolts, you should be able to get it a couple inches down. It helps to have a friend pry down on the arm.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Go to the maintenance section and find a post by SHOZ123 on how to install the struts.

You don't need to take the ball joints out.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the spring compressor to give me a little more room. But, wow, how the hell can you get a ball joint out of the control arm without wrecking it. I cracked the puller. I didn't want to use heat because it would probably wreck the boot.

QUOTE (mwt @ May 22 2010, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806150
Go to the maintenance section and find a post by SHOZ123 on how to install the struts.

Mike
B)[/b]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked for a specific post from shoz123 but there are so many that I am not sure which one you are referring to. Is the trick to lower the subframe? I pried down on the control arm, but it bottoms out. I also had some issues wit the axle coming out a bit and not wanting to go back in so easy.

QUOTE (clydesdale @ May 22 2010, 08:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806162
I used the spring compressor to give me a little more room. But, wow, how the hell can you get a ball joint out of the control arm without wrecking it. I cracked the puller. I didn't want to use heat because it would probably wreck the boot.

Mike
B)[/b]
[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (clydesdale @ May 22 2010, 07:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806165
I looked for a specific post from shoz123 but there are so many that I am not sure which one you are referring to. Is the trick to lower the subframe? I pried down on the control arm, but it bottoms out. I also had some issues wit the axle coming out a bit and not wanting to go back in so easy.

Mike
B)[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Yes,

You lower the subframe just enough that you can kick the A arm out of the strut.
The instructions in the wiki aren't as good as the ones I was referring to.
It was either Shoz123 ,Spridge or Daniel that wrote those instructions.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man. I will lower the sub for the other side. Any idea where those instructions might be? Thanks a lot.

QUOTE (mwt @ May 22 2010, 10:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806187
QUOTE (clydesdale @ May 22 2010, 07:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806165

Mike
B)[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Yes,

You lower the subframe just enough that you can kick the A arm out of the strut.
The instructions in the wiki aren't as good as the ones I was referring to.
It was either Shoz123 ,Spridge or Daniel that wrote those instructions.

Mike
B)
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
346 Posts
start by loosening them gradually but not too much. try not to remove them since there is alot of weight there in the engine cradle that they are holding

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, you are saving me. I could not go through what I did yesterday. I will lower the subframe. Now to be sure of which bolts we are talking about. There is one in front of the tire and one behind the tire correct? I looked back at some posts and I know I am looking for the "h" that the motor and tranny sit on. But, these bolts are not under the motor right? They are more where the frame meets the unibody? So, the subframe ears run front to back and not across the car right? THanks.

QUOTE (mwt @ May 23 2010, 05:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806238

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
The H is the subframe.

You want to loosen the bolts at either end of the H on the side you are working on.
Front and rear.

After you have done what is said in the link I provided
Put a jack under the subframe
Loosen the two subframe botls

lower the jack
Kick the spindle off.
Then you should just have to finish the three bolts at the top of the strut and it will come right out.

I have done this a half a dozen times and it works just fine.

When you put the strut back in

Locate the strut and then use your jack to get it in place.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mike. Any shot at lowering just the rear of the one side. I only ask because of rust issue. I loosened the the rear subframe bolt this a.m. and there is clear site of it. THe front is a little hidden and I do not want it to brake on me. I can get a socket on it, especially if I pull the front plastics down a bit. So, you think any shot at just lowering the rear of the subframe? Thanks. I am hoping this goes way faster than yesterday. In the wiki, there is a how to that says to remove the ball joint form the LC. That should be erased by the moderators. From reading past posts and my personal experience, that ball joint will cause you nothing but heartache. It should be left alone, unless it needs replacing.

QUOTE (mwt @ May 23 2010, 07:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806244
The H is the subframe.

You want to loosen the bolts at either end of the H on the side you are working on.
Front and rear.

lower the jack
Kick the spindle off.
Then you should just have to finish the three bolts at the top of the strut and it will come right out.

Mike
B)[/b]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolute friggin breeze. I lowered just the rear of the subframe. The ball joint idea should be completely removed from the procedure in the wiki. It only leads to hell. Thanks.

QUOTE (clydesdale @ May 23 2010, 09:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806254
Thanks Mike. Any shot at lowering just the rear of the one side. I only ask because of rust issue. I loosened the the rear subframe bolt this a.m. and there is clear site of it. THe front is a little hidden and I do not want it to brake on me. I can get a socket on it, especially if I pull the front plastics down a bit. So, you think any shot at just lowering the rear of the subframe? Thanks. I am hoping this goes way faster than yesterday. In the wiki, there is a how to that says to remove the ball joint form the LC. That should be erased by the moderators. From reading past posts and my personal experience, that ball joint will cause you nothing but heartache. It should be left alone, unless it needs replacing.

QUOTE (mwt @ May 23 2010, 07:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806244
The H is the subframe.

Front and rear.

lower the jack
Kick the spindle off.

Mike
B)[/b]
[/b][/quote]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts