Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the many who read and contributed to my prior thread about the clunking and rattling problems I was having with my new front Quick Struts, here is the end (hopefully) of my saga. I finally became so disgusted with the noises from the front end that I couldn't stand it anymore. I took my car to my old reliable mechanic and told him to replace the Quick Struts with KYB GR-2's, same as he had installed on the rear a few months back. So, I now have KYB GR-2's on all four corners. The rattling and clunking noises are all gone. The front end is tight and noise-free. In essence, the car feels like a new car, and I am relieved to finally have my car back to where it was before all these problems began. :chili: Here's the kicker though. Mechanic told me that the ball joints were worn and recommended replacing those too, which I consented to. So, now I'm not sure if it was the Quick Struts, or the ball joints that were causing the noises :( At this point, I don't care though, because the car just feels so much better with the KYB's. They give a much more comfortable OEM style ride, while still firm and controlled. The Quick Struts made my Sable feel like a pickup truck.
Some sidenotes: Mechanic was able to reuse the springs from the Quick Struts, but had to supply new mounting kit. I dropped in to the shop when he was about midway through the change, and the mechanic showed me the old and new struts side by side. The KYB strut looked to be an inch or two longer than the Monroe. I don't know if this is significant, but the mechanic seemed to think so. Also, I did a "push-down" test on each strut, and the Monroe seemed to give more resistance than the KYB.
Bottom line, I'm a KYB man from now on. Sorry for the long post, but I thought some might be interested in the outcome of my problem. I welcome any questions or comments. :)

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
It was the "Quick Struts". Typical Monroe garbage.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The noise for me ending up being poor quality endlinks :\ I still feel the Monroe setup is way too soft for such a heavy sedan. Glad you got the KYB setup going. A setup I'll keep in mind for the future.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick. Funny you should mention that the Monroes are too soft because I actually felt that they were too firm. When I would hit a bump in the road, the tires would hit the bump hard and then hop over it as if the struts were not compressing enough to absorb the bump. The KYB's seem to have more travel in them and so absorb all but the worst road shocks. Just my impression though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The noise for me ending up being poor quality endlinks :\ I still feel the Monroe setup is way too soft for such a heavy sedan. Glad you got the KYB setup going. A setup I'll keep in mind for the future.
Bull Geek,

Are you running Monroe sensatracs on your vehicle ?

So are you saying they are way too soft over the oem struts that came with your car - for city and highway roads or for the racetrack ?

Just curious because I was thinking of putting monroe sensatracs on my vehicle to replace the oem struts when they are worn out.

Thanks in advance for you input.

k8crd

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
My car had 125K when I replaced stuff (now at 147,800 or so). It actually still road OK before I replaced them, but the squeaking was getting annoying. I don't think the spring/strut combo is ideally suited for such a heavy car from the factory, nor do I think Monroe's setup is better (heck I would venture to say the strut is worse, like rebound control). It just doesn't feel...balanced? Or well calibrated maybe.

When I drive my sister's Accord (2000 EXV6, like my SEL) the ride is better balanced, controlled and doesn't feel as floaty. I'm thinking that may have more to do with the springs that the struts though. It's still riding on stock stuff @ 120K.

I know exactly what you mean about bumps. Like if I hit a speed bump at 25-30 mph, it hammers over them, no compressing of the strut. It just doesn't seem all that well balanced. But it did make things a bit better when braking, a little less nose diving. It still does it though, too much IMO but for the price paid for that stuff...better to just live with it for now lol

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Nick. Funny you should mention that the Monroes are too soft because I actually felt that they were too firm. When I would hit a bump in the road, the tires would hit the bump hard and then hop over it as if the struts were not compressing enough to absorb the bump. The KYB's seem to have more travel in them and so absorb all but the worst road shocks. Just my impression though.
I wonder who has installed Gabrial ready-mount struts on their bull? If I decide to keep this car, I need to install new front struts and I'm going to put new front brakes on at the same time (109k on factory brakes, still have 1/4+ pad left). My front struts are toast, now they ride like crap, and make plenty of noise over bumps and turns. Any issues with Gabrials? How do they ride? I will never buy Monroe struts, after having them on 2 other cars, they do not last very long, and they're just as crappy (if not worse) as the Motorcraft struts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know exactly what you mean about bumps. Like if I hit a speed bump at 25-30 mph, it hammers over them, no compressing of the strut. It just doesn't seem all that well balanced.
Exactly! The Monroes had no finesse. They just hammered over everything. The KYB's, in contrast, react and adjust to different road conditions. They are firm on smooth surfaces, but compress and absorb the rough stuff beautifully. I know some would think I'm crazy for replacing struts that were barely eight months old, but between the jack hammer ride and the clunking, knocking, and rattling noises, I just found the Quick Struts to be intolerable. I had gotten to the point where I didn't enjoy driving my car anymore. Now, I love my car again, so to me, it was well worth the additional expense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
same problem for months

I installed Monroe Quick Struts on my 300k 96 sable, and they are like rocks. All the literature I read said KYB's were firmer, but not sure how they could be. The car jumps over small bumps like an over inflated basketball. And yes, they make way too much noise. Too late now. Hope the soften with age, but at 315,000, not sure how much "age" she has left.

As for the fit, interestingly Monroe appears to be the only brand that does not offer a "right" and "left" strut. One strut fits both. They were difficult to install, and I wonder now if this has something to do with it, as well as the noise they make.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I installed Monroe Quick Struts on my 300k 96 sable, and they are like rocks. All the literature I read said KYB's were firmer, but not sure how they could be. The car jumps over small bumps like an over inflated basketball. And yes, they make way too much noise. Too late now. Hope the soften with age, but at 315,000, not sure how much "age" she has left.

As for the fit, interestingly Monroe appears to be the only brand that does not offer a "right" and "left" strut. One strut fits both. They were difficult to install, and I wonder now if this has something to do with it, as well as the noise they make.
I've been looking into struts, and for gen 3 there mostly seems to be one type of strut for the front, and another for the back, with no difference between left/right. For gen 4 struts, there is a left front, and a right front strut for some brands; rears are same on each side. I personally decided to go with Motorcraft struts with moog springs. I have read some people saying Monroes are the best, and others saying they suck; on the other hand I think KYBs get more consistent "OK" reviews for gen 3/4. The variance in quality for Monroe may be quality control issues at different factories. Also, there are Monroe-Matic struts, and Monroe Sensatrac struts, and people do not specify which ones they have.
Is your 315K car with its original engine/transmission?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Monroe-Matics tend to have a weak compression and stiff rebound.
Sensatracs are of a different breed to all struts/shocks. They have bypass grooves that wider at factory ride height. The idea behind this is they give a soft ride with no load and are stiffer when there is a payload in the car.
To eliminate the wallow on my '98, I installed SHO sway bars to stiffen the ride, and filled the gaps in the rear sub-frame bushings with black silicone, after a good cleaning. (It still has what appears to be the original Motorcraft struts with ~135k miles.)
I have used Monroe-Matics, Gabriel and KYB gas adjust on my vans. I prefer the stiffer more controlled ride of the Gas-adjust.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,770 Posts
I'm pleased so far with my Monroe SensaTracs up front. I was warned not to buy the lower-priced Monroe version, and the advice seemed to be on the money.

We'll see how long they last. It's only been a couple of months since I re-did the front end.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
A recent (and past) trend in auto parts is:
The quality version that has been inspected to verify it will last and have a good warranty.
The cheap version that is slightly out of specification, (approaching reject) with almost no warranty.
The simple truth is, you get what you pay for.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,770 Posts
Well, my observation is this: I got an entire unit of equal or better quality than OEM, spring and shock absorber both, no assembly required, lifetime warranty for $108 or so apiece and I put them in in 15 minutes - why go cheaper than that? That's counterproductive cost-wise to me. As relatively easy as this job was, I do NOT want to do it again in two or three years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts