Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here.

I am a long time fan of my Taurus. It's my third one, and it's been a terrific car. I am hoping to make it faster, but first thing's first, it has some issues from my previous wreck.

So, I got run off the road and spun out and crashed into a curb at 50 mph. It bent the rear hub, blew up the tire and bent the strut as well. I drove it on the spare to a shop and had them repair it. New strut, and tire.

After the wreck, I noticed a knocking sound every time I hit a speed bump or a pot hole. Sounds exactly like a bad tie rod end or control arm bushing, but it isn't. I try to move the wheel to check the wheel bearing, but it didn't budge in any way.

I naturally assumed the last thing was the strut mount, but after I got it off, it looks just fine and doesn't have any tears of anything. I am confused, what could it be?

It only happens when I hit a bump (hard or soft) and sounds like a tie rod end. Control arm bushings are good, strut mount looks good (but is the one from the crash), and the wheel bearing is tight with no play...

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hello, first post here.

I am a long time fan of my Taurus. It's my third one, and it's been a terrific car. I am hoping to make it faster, but first thing's first, it has some issues from my previous wreck.

So, I got run off the road and spun out and crashed into a curb at 50 mph. It bent the rear hub, blew up the tire and bent the strut as well. I drove it on the spare to a shop and had them repair it. New strut, and tire.

After the wreck, I noticed a knocking sound every time I hit a speed bump or a pot hole. Sounds exactly like a bad tie rod end or control arm bushing, but it isn't. I try to move the wheel to check the wheel bearing, but it didn't budge in any way.

I naturally assumed the last thing was the strut mount, but after I got it off, it looks just fine and doesn't have any tears of anything. I am confused, what could it be?

It only happens when I hit a bump (hard or soft) and sounds like a tie rod end. Control arm bushings are good, strut mount looks good (but is the one from the crash), and the wheel bearing is tight with no play...
Loose or damaged end links?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well....two things. I missed these, as I was going fast and didn't pay attention. The first one, is that the shop didn't put my sway link on one side after they repaired the car, and two, the link was tight in the back, but the tech forgot to put the bushing back on one of the stabilizers....:angry: Problem is, I can't find one for sale. Anyone know where I'd be able to find just one bushing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts