Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear like MotorCraft plugs and all that but is it worth it. Like High Performance wires and plugs will I notice a difference. And how much would the two run?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Are you a like a valley girl?

Anyways... the consensus is that Ford or Autolite platinum plugs have the fewest problems. The Ford and Autolite wires are very good too. There are some concerns about the quality of the Ford Motorsport 9mm wires.

The Autolite platinums are about $4.50 a piece, older cars can use coppers for about $2 each, but the Duratec uses platinum. The Ford Motosport wire cost about $95 while the OEM and Autolites are about $40-50

G

·
If you are running a Duratec Motor, I would go with Motorcrafts Double Platinum Plug. Might as well go with the good ones, seeing that you wont want to change out those plugs again any time soon. LOL

As for wires, I like the Lifetime warrantied ones at Autozone (yes I said it... autozone, althought I hate the competition, I like these wires.) Haven't done me wrong. And 8mm!

Good Luck

Sal

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
If your plugs and wires are shot to heck, then yes, you will see some power gains because your car will be running better than with the old and crappy plugs and wires.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I had 95k on my OEM plugs. Swapped them out for some Autolite Double Platinums, no noticeable difference in power, but I picked up 2 to 3 mpg in both city and highway driving. The electrodes on the original plugs, actually looked pretty good, however the prongs on some of them had started to straighted out, making the gap at least .080" on some of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I changed my plugs at 50k miles and noticed a huge improvment in the cleanness of acceleration, but no real speed gain to speak of

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
my wires were shot and I put taylor wires (blue) and I love them, I picked up about 20 miles to a tank, but my old ones were pretty shot.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
You can use copper plugs in a Taurus without problem. The only drawback is that they will not last nearly as long as DP's will. I use copper plugs one heat range colder than stock.

The thing to look for in plug wires is not the diameter, but the resistivity of the wire. Is is measured in Ohms per liner foot. the lower the number, the better; especially in our waste-spark ignition systems. But honestly, OEM wires are fine.

Sidenote: I have a spare set of Motorcraft AGSF 32FM DP plugs that only have about 3K miles on them. I switched them out for my surrent sopper plugs. If you need a set I will sell them cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts