Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my brother just inheritted my mom's 99 Taurus SE (vulcan), and he's just looking for cheap stuff to do to make his taurus a little quicker. Nothing big, just a K&N Filter, maybe ZMax, Royal Purple Synthetic oil, and he wanted to get a different muffler on there just to set himself apart from all the mom's driving taurus's, so people would know that he would be up for racing. He just wants me to clamp on a $15 Thrush Turbo muffler or somthing really cheap like that, but I don't know what size I should get, because I don't know the stock pipe size. I know how great flowmasters are, and how great they sound, but my brother's kind of a ricer and he's just in it for sound. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-chris

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Slap you brother and do this. Show him this website Thunder Alley
And explain to him that That sounds a whole lot more badass then a ricer ever will. I know his taurus wont sound like that but at least he has feeling of what he should want it to sound like.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Some people have Flows on their Vulcans, and it's breathtaking. They sound great. Hopefully I'll have my Flows on my 'tec once my gf's dad gets back from Cali.

JR

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If he wants a ricey sound, get him a ricer muffler with a 4.5" outlet. YOu can get a 2.0" inlet and have an exhaust shop put it on. They will cut a little bit of the pipe off and put on a new one that will match up with the muffler inlet size. Since the exhaust pipe size at the muffler end is like 1.75" ( I think, atleast that is what it is on the Duratec dual exhaust). While you are at the exhust shop, have them cut off the exhaust resonator and weld on a straight pipe. The resonator is in the middle of the car on the exhaust pipe and looks kinda like a glass pack muffler, but it is not red.

The muffler will get you a FREE flowing exhaust (atleast on the muffler end) and removing the resonator will get him a little bit more noise (and maybe .00009% of a HP, some people may aruge this though) and it takes a little bit of weight off the car too.

Free flowing ricer muffler (on ebay) $20
install for the muffler $25ish
removing resonator and welding
on straight pipe $20ish

That $65 will get him plenty of noise (to start with).
This is a basic way to start making some noise. ONce he's ready to put some more money for noise and power at the same time, he can look into a MAF adapter with K&N cone filter. This will get better flowing air than a stock K&N panel filter, that goes in the airbox. The MAF adapter eliminates the airbox and a cone filter will be sitting in about the exact spot as the air box. You can hear the intake rumble and hear the air getting sucked into the motor and a more constant rate. This will also help with throttle repsonse.

Tell him Good Luck with his car and start saving up for some real add ons :D

Dylan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts